new business....am i robbing myself blind???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a long apprenticeship I set up by my self about a year ago. Have just finished a job on a bathroom refit... would appreciate any suggestions/comments

specifics:

remedial work
fit timber/plasterboard suspended ceiling 6ms sq
bond plasterboard to wall and skim 6ms sq
stud out board window wall and skim wall 4.4 sq ms

re-route cable for 2x ceiling switches, ceiling light and extractor

re-route dwh and cw feeds for bath basin WC and shower valve approx 8ms (copper and plastic)
fit 3 pc suite and shower mixer
reallign flow n ret fer rad new location ( 5ms copper) hang rad refill bleed and add inhibitor

18 sq ms wall tiling ( all pipes run under floor so no boxing in)
fit suite n shower valve (inc chasin out for hidden shower feeds)
lay approx 6ms sq laminate floor/scotia bead

fit misc loo rol holders mirrors cabinets towel rails shower riser/rail curtain rail etc.

£1300.00 net profit

btw!!! I live in sheffield.... not knightbridge... or st. moritz!!!

Its just a pain... after relocating from stockport and losing all of my and my former employers client base (hes retired so not nicking customers off him!) All I seem to get are complete bathroom refits and tiling work(ooooooooh!!! how I long fer the days that sum1 wanted a simple drippping tap sorting or a new rad hanging!!!)

All of my work is coming from recent customers recommending me. I wonder why :?:

Am I ripping myself off :?: just to get a good reputation and if so :?: how would any1 recommened getting new work.... apart from mega projects in from customers who insist on passing on work and (despite my insistence) telling others how much I have charged :?:

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting that we go through your prices & tell you where you have gone wrong....tell it your accountant mate..this is a DIY forum....

Sponsored Links
still on going.... reckon at 8 days and very long at that!!!!! 3 days remedial plastering, re-routing dwh/cw and flow/ret fer rad... + re-routing elec cable... battoning ceiling, studding window wall and bonding p/board to 6ms sq wall.... with allo the "can ya just put this mirror/cabinet/towel rail/etc?" 4 got to mention shaving down door to fit over u/lay lam floor.... i reckon 8-9 days... inc rip out of existing suite and airing cupboard chasing out ... liftin boards for pipe runs etc

Thing is .... i did a basic refit n partial retile fer this guy.... he recommended me to 2 neighbours fer similar work and now this job fer his bro.... I started off doing top notch at reduced rates and I suspect that I aint charging enough... as allo of my work is coming from previous work recommendations... :confused:

thanx fitx fer takin an interest... much apreciated.... :) and yes, bamber... its a diy forum... but people are asking diy q's about gaswork.. wonder if theyre A. corgi registered,,, or B. competent...???? dont wanna get into that legislative debate over whether registered accredited gas installers or competent diy'ers.... but as I contribute and profer advice to diy'ers q's on this site... just wondered if I may venture to as the advice of other tradesppl with regard to making a decebt living fer maself.

Ypur point has been noted... however will make it prominent in my diary...(note to self ask accountant if im charging enough)

ty ty ty fitz... just as I suspected.....

Have laboured the point to customers as I am starting afresh and getting a new referral/client base I aint chargin nearly enough...

might just print off this page to show to client... he might get me a bottle of moet as a pressie like his bro did.....

ty again fitz

i do work for a builder and charge 180 per day and he adds and pays the tax.never work past 2 oclock and only plod along.thats 900 per week clear.he supplies and arranges everything.

loafer said:
thanx fitx fer takin an interest... much apreciated.... :) and yes, bamber... its a diy forum... but people are asking diy q's about gaswork.. wonder if theyre A. corgi registered,,, or B. competent...???? dont wanna get into that legislative debate over whether registered accredited gas installers or competent diy'ers.... but as I contribute and profer advice to diy'ers q's on this site... just wondered if I may venture to as the advice of other tradesppl with regard to making a decebt living fer maself.

Ypur point has been noted... however will make it prominent in my diary...(note to self ask accountant if im charging enough)

Shut up you Big Tart.... ;)

Loafer, You will get your dripping taps etc, just wait for all the refits to age. :LOL:
If you a reputation for doing a good job at a GOOD price, you will get plenty of work & can raise your prices.

You should know how much you would like to be making a day (dont be silly) & all you need to be doing is calculating the time the job should take.

I'd expect any tradesman to charge anything from £100 to £200 a day for their labour, (depending on location, more for further south) then anything else on top of that for parts that you make is better buy the equipment and charge the B & Q price.

Your rate worked out at £144 a day which ain't bad, but you could have charged the £200 a day and made £1800 profit.

It is swings and roundabouts and based on market demand. If you have a full orderbook you could start raising your prices, start by adding £20 a day more and if you still get the work go to £30, 40, 50 until the work begins to stop. You will win some, you will lose some.

Do a good job, keep the customer happy and you will always get work.

Play the game.

thanks diyis and big h!!!for the advice.

oh n btw bamber, as for calling me a tart and winking at me.... have we met b4??? Tart! Moi!? for instant tart just add alcohol!!! hic buuuuuuuuuuuurp!!! ;) :D

IMO, bathrooms can be very risky with profit margins if you give a quotation. If you are doing a proper job, a lot of the time and work comes in the preparation. There are always gotchas too. Most people are (rightly) sticklers when it comes to final appearance, so if you haven't done preparation correctly it will show.

I can earn just as much with central heating systems and they rarely give me any surprises. I only do bathroom jobs if its on a daily rate or if I have got some other work in the house such as a central heating refit. I only did 3 bathrooms in the last year and one of those was my own!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back