new car, a million and one questions..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok so slight exageration.. but I picked up my new ( to me ) renault megane scenic earlier and I have a few questions..

1. the electric wing mirrors don't work ( they did when I test drove it a week ago.. ), any ideas on what it could be?

2. when I told the guy I was getting the car off he proceeded to pull half the fuses and look at them, assuming it may be a fuse presumably.. in the process he pulled the radio fuse and so I need to enter the code.. but I don't know what it is.. I couldn't find it anywhere in the owners book. who can I get it off?

3. as it's an aliz, it comes with alloys. the hubcap in the middle of the alloys have some kind of lock on them that looks like it takes a 3 pronged key to get them off.. I've searched the car and can't seem to find it.. presumably it's supposed to be in with the jack etc under the spare wheel?
any ideas where I could get a replacement?

4. there is a wobble to the steering wheel when traveling at low speeds ( seems to lessen as I get faster.. ) . it also seems to ease off a bit after a few mins.. any ideas? I had a random thought that it might be someting to do with the power steering fluid?

5..... erm, that's it for now but I'm sure I'll have loads more questions..

Sponsored Links
Hi ColJack
1) Check the wing mirror fuse - its unlikely for both to pack in at the same time. - Make sure the switch is turned to adjust before trying to set them.
2) The radio code is decipherable from the serial and model numbers printed on the side or back of the set. Renault should still have the code on their system. As an alternative, several firms on the web will give you the code for about a tenner, if you give them the numbers. Some kind souls do it for free. If there is a branch of Autosounds near you, they'll do the same thing.
3) The Alize range (which means air con) does use alloys which have the 3 pronged key to remove the central cap. A Renault dealer will help you here, but you can tap the bolt round with a centre punch and replace it with a 6mm allen or torx if you prefer.
4) Initially, have your wheels balanced to cure this wobble - but if it doesn't, then you need to get the suspension and steering checked for wear or misalignment. It won't be a PAS problem if the steering works ok.
5) Enjoy the new motor! There will be a good few small issues to sort if the car has been standing for a while, but good Renault dealers know all about their foibles.
John :)

I would go back to the dealer with a list, & expect him to correct everything & maybe even give me the use of another car.
I bought a car from Car Giant a few years back, bought without the extra warranty, after about 4 weeks airbag warning light came on, got in touch with them. They gave authorisation to take to main dealer for diagnostic, dealer gave quote (new sensors required, wasnt cheap) Car Giant authorised the repair.
Where do you think my next car will come from.
Oh BTW I didnt not have to argue with them, brilliant service pat on the back.

great.. next question then.. how do you get the stereo out?

renault want to charge me £25 for it.. I think I'll just wear my ipod...

Sponsored Links
For the low speed wheel wobble I would suspect a faulty tyre. Car radios are usually held in with concealed clips hiding down two small holes each side, if you get a wire coat hanger, cut off a couple of pieces about 9" long and bend them into a 'U' shape, push them a couple of inches into the holes and you should be able to pull the radio out.

I only see 2 holes.. one either side at the bottom..

would a set of radio pullers work? I think I have a pair from when I had my nova.. somewhere..

2 new tyres ( one was deformed a bit ) on the front and tracking to cure the inner wear ( camber is if called? ) and the wobble is gone..

Back