New Ceiling Fixture fitted, lights stay on, switch is off!?!

The JSJS version has a minimum load of 40 watts,

If the Siemens and JSJS designs are identical then it would seems the Siemens would also have a minimum load of 40 watts.

Sponsored Links
Yes I see your point now - that would then just lead to the bobs causing the dimmer the issue it seems.

I am tempted to buy non approved 7w LEDs but it's the expense. Dimmable LEDs are quite expensive.

This has to be one of the most frustrating DIYs I've ever had to encounter.

I know now to either stay away from Incompatible lamps or just to leave incandescent ones in - which neither me or my pocket would want to allow.

The JSJS version has a minimum load of 40 watts,

If the Siemens and JSJS designs are identical then it would seems the Siemens would also have a minimum load of 40 watts.

It may well be, but why did the incandescent bulb work on it's own (28w)?

Are you 100% certain that JSJS and Siemens have the same internal structures and circuitry.

It is quite possible that they both buy the plastic housing from the same supplier but fit different electronics in it.

What is the exact part number on the dimmer you are using ?

Sponsored Links
http://www.lightwaverf.com/assets/public/pdf/product-manuals/JSJSLW200.pdf says:

screenshot_329.jpg

http://www.lightwaverf.com/assets/public/pdf/product-manuals/JSJSLW200.pdf says:
screenshot_329.jpg
This is all very confusing. Despite the filename of the above, it appears to be a generic manual, not relating specifically to the JSJSLW200.

Indeed, it seems that this model may be obsolete, in that a search of their site fails to find it, and it is does not appear in their list of manuals: (click here)

However, some suppliers do offer this model, for example (click here) , which includes this specification:
... so I really don't know what is going on,or who is telling the truth!

Kind Regards, John

Might be missing something here but is it as simple as being BELOW the minimum load of the dimmer which is why an incandescent bulb fixed it.

Instead of trial and error can the OP post what it says on the back of HIS dimmer.

This is all very confusing. Despite the filename of the above, it appears to be a generic manual, not relating specifically to the JSJSLW200.
It has a photograph of the rear, to show the connections.

Only one such photograph.

screenshot_330.jpg

Which -

1) Shows a JSJSLW200SS (the last 2 characters mean stainless steel, which matches the photos of the front).

2) To add to the confusion shows a minimum load of 40W.

Indeed, it seems that this model may be obsolete, in that a search of their site fails to find it
There may be no mention of it on the Megaman site, but on LightwaveRF's site there is. The site itself has no search facility, but:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="jsjslw200"+site:www.lightwaverf.com

(apologies on behalf of DIYnot that you'll have to copy and paste that because the site can't cope with it. :evil: )

Bizarrely, and to add gromore to the thriving thicket of obfuscation, none of the links (to "their" online shop) take you to a page about the JSJSLW200. Until you click on the Tech Spec tab, whereupon the site offers you manuals for products which are not the same as the one the page is about.

arg.gif

So this is P1 of http://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/upload/pdf/JSJSLW200_1gangdimmer_manual.pdf

screenshot_333.jpg

So far, so good.

But oh dear, this is p3:

screenshot_332.jpg

"4 gang"?

And now 15W minimum for LEDs?

arg.gif
arg.gif

and it is does not appear in their list of manuals: (click here)
True, it does not appear in the list of manuals on the Megaman site.

But on their site, http://www.lightwaverf.com/product-manuals , it does.

which includes this specification:
... so I really don't know what is going on,or who is telling the truth!
The more information retrieved, the worse it gets, not better.

It may have got so bad and inconsistent that this:

Due to the large outlay I've shelled out for the entire range of LightwaveRF products replacing or deeming them redundant isn't an option for me

might no longer apply - Umy might, if he wants, be able to reject the whole lot as unfit for purpose, and rejoin the normal world of normal light switches.

Umy might, if he wants, be able to reject the whole lot as unfit for purpose, and rejoin the normal world of normal light switches.
To be fair to LightWave I have used their products in three applications where wireless control of a lamp was the only economical option. No problems at all when controlling incandescent lamps.

But reading this thread I have to agree the information is not consistent.

2) To add to the confusion shows a minimum load of 40W.
Indeed - and if one wants something more to ponder, why does it say "Load 40-250W max", followed by "Incandescent lamp 40-200VA max"? What does the former refer to?
Indeed, it seems that this model may be obsolete, in that a search of their site fails to find it
There may be no mention of it on the Megaman site, but on LightwaveRF's site there is. The site itself has no search facility, but: ....
I must confess that I hadn't even realised that Mr Google had sent me to the Megaman site - but that site does have separate tabs for 'Megaman' and 'LightwaveRF'!!
...And now 15W minimum for LEDs? ... The more information retrieved, the worse it gets, not better. ... It may have got so bad and inconsistent that this:
Due to the large outlay I've shelled out for the entire range of LightwaveRF products replacing or deeming them redundant isn't an option for me
... might no longer apply - Umy might, if he wants, be able to reject the whole lot as unfit for purpose, and rejoin the normal world of normal light switches.
Possibly. However, every source we've found has agreed that the dimmer is suitable for use with dimmable LEDs, the inconsistency relating to the minimum load (1W, 15W or 40W). As IJWS15 has said, there surely should be some indication of the minimum load on the back of the devices which the OP actually has - which surely should resolve the inconsistencies as far as they relate to him?

Kind Regards, John

From a well informed source
I believe the tech specs of the 200 series will be a typo and should read 40-250W like the original manual did. You'll note further up it omits the minimum load for incandescent.

400 series is much better for LEDs however, and the guide doesn't apply.

The 200 series dimmer is discontinued at this point and it looks as though the 200 and 400 series manuals were combined somewhat.

The 200 series dimmer works with a low number of dimmable LEDs, the minimum load may vary. With halogens, we state 40 watts, though fewer may work at the users own risk.

The 400 series dimmer works with a large number of dimmable LEDs. Depending on the LED, they will work with a low load. It should be noted that 10W of LED load from company A can (and does) behave very different from 10W of LED load from company B.

The last sentence is the critical one.

From a well informed source
.....The 200 series dimmer is discontinued at this point ... The 200 series dimmer works with a low number of dimmable LEDs, the minimum load may vary.....
The last sentence is the critical one.
Indeed, but the bit I've quoted above is potentially also pretty 'critical' as far as the OP is concerned - it sounds as if one may have to be quite lucky to get a particular LED to dim satisfactorily with a (discontinued) 200 series dimmer.

Kind Regards, John

I will post a pic when I'm back from work (Late)

And probably why they discontinued with the 200 series - something I've found out recently & that their new series is 'supposedly' more compatible with more LEDs, however I do recall reading similar issues with the 400 series, but as it didn't apply to me I didn't take the time to read it thoroughly, i could be wrong...

Indeed due to the incompatibility issue, I will try out several dimmable LED options via the Trial & error process as I don't wish to be held to ransom to LightwaveRF & Megaman (Their approved supplier) as their prices are hugely inflated vs a (better) branded, albeit incompatible, option.

Extremely frustrating

And I know I've stated before, but I can't state enough how helpful you all have been

Will report back with a pic -

Ps I know this is a long shot - but anyone know any retailer that has a large or is well stocked with a range of LEDs that one can walk into to view - in or around London

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back