New Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am trying to install a new ceiling light - well ceiling fan actually.

Ok, so I have two cables coming from the ceiling, each has one black and one red wire. I connected the two black to the neutral on the light fitting and the two red to the live.

After putting the fuse back in the circuit box, all the lights in the house work except for the new one. When I flick the switch, PING, the main fuse blows at the box.

Grateful for any help !!

Sponsored Links
tip.

if at first you dont succeed look in the refernce section

GreggCQ said:
Hello

I am trying to install a new ceiling light - well ceiling fan actually.

Ok, so I have two cables coming from the ceiling, each has one black and one red wire. I connected the two black to the neutral on the light fitting and the two red to the live.

After putting the fuse back in the circuit box, all the lights in the house work except for the new one. When I flick the switch, PING, the main fuse blows at the box.

Grateful for any help !!

it sounds like one of the cables is the switch cable and is shorting the circuit when the switch is turned on, is there any red sleevin/tape on any of the black wires?

Thats the thing I'm gonna check now.

If it is the switch cable, where does it go as the connector box that came with the light fitting is only a three way block. Do I need to replace it with a four and wire the live switch in to a separate connector ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need an extra terminal to put both permanent lives in (both reds) then switched live (black from the switch cable, which should be oversleeved as red) to live, and neutral (the other black to neutral) of course all earths go to the earth connection

Ok thanks for the replies so far guys. Neither of the two blacks have any red tape on so I dont know which is switched live and which is neutral.

What next, do I need one of these meter thingamybobs, or can I just do it by trial and error ? Whats the worst that can happen if I get the blacks the wrong way round, will it just blow the fuse like it did before ?

GreggCQ said:
Ok thanks for the replies so far guys. Neither of the two blacks have any red tape on so I dont know which is switched live and which is neutral.

What next, do I need one of these meter thingamybobs, or can I just do it by trial and error ? Whats the worst that can happen if I get the blacks the wrong way round, will it just blow the fuse like it did before ?

If you get the blacks the wrong way round, the light will still work, but the polarity will be wrong, which actually matters very little for a baynout lamp fitting (other than its 'nicer' to have the wireing the right way round so if anyone works on it in future, etc) but it matters mroe with screw fittings, as the thread needs to be neutral and the blob at the bottom of it, live for obvious reasons.

The switch wire can easily be identified with a multimeter on continuity or low ohms setting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back