New Central Heating pipe advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all , i am very sorry if this has been answerd, but i cannot find a answer to this, and my head is frankly spinning from been told different things.
My wife and i have just purchased a bungalow where the heating pipes ran under the floor and have apparently ruptured in several places, so we decided to get everything new so we know there will be no unforseen issues.
we are looking at purchasing a HEAT PACK, which includes the Condensing combi worcester heatslave 18/25 oil fired Boiler/flue/6 radiators we need and the TRV valves.

I will be hanging all the radiators myself and the attic is very open and easily accessable for the pipe running.
so far we have had several quotes and one that i assume was a quote from a plumber trying to price themselves out of the work due to them being busy. The best quote is from a local guy who i have used before.
( sorry for the long winded start )
He recommends running 10mm for the heating, and says i do not need manifolds for the work required.
Since the other quotes were very high, i did as much reading as i could to try and make sure i was not being conned, the 10mm i keep reading about seems to always use manifolds.
so my question is this, would the system be ok on 10mm , the single biggest radiator is 8100 BTU, 3 other radiators are rated at 7200 BTU and the other 2 are 5000 give or take.

again sorry if this is really dumb, but i have been told so many different things my brain hurts, and i no longer trust people who just want my money.

Sponsored Links
I would initially start with a 22mm ring main around your loft space(which would efficitvly become a manifold,reducing to 15mm and finally all drops in 10mm.He will also be doing it this way and is correct.

Thankyou for the reply, i appreciate it.

Ill try work this into the conversation, so i know hes not just doing 15mm- 10mm drops.

thankyou again, at least i can sleep tonight. :)

An installer that wants to do the whole thing in 10 mm, especially saying that you don't need a manifold is likely to cause you a few headaches.
Did he mention that if YOU supply the boiler, he had no obligation so sort out any problems that may occur with the boiler after he finished the job?

Sponsored Links
are these 10mm in drops, surface mounted, bare or in conduate.

A plumber would go to the trouble to come round your house for nothing - and then you assume he is pricing something 'not to get it'. Laughable.

You think the chap that is suggesting a complete c*** up is reasonably priced.

And you are buying the boiler as a heatpack, no doubt with the dodgy valves and hateful imported TRVs. Most heating engineers won't fit your boiler.

You deserve to have your central heating designed on an internet forum; no doubt you are hoping that an expensive con artist (your term for a skilled heating engineer) will do the design.

There are many on here masquerading as something they are not - be warned.

So let me get this right you have picked the cheapest quote.... But trust what he saying that much that you come on to an internet forum where you have not got a clue who is responding to you and you will believe what they say..

Surely you go to work with the aim to save the world, serve the community, and accept as little payment as possible.

isnt that what the energy efficiency coarse is for.

And here comes the ridicule, the quote from the alledged most trustwothy installer was nearly over 2k more than the others, i chose the cheapest as along with knowing him and his work for many years, he was the cheapest ( only just mind you )

His suggestion was for the heater pack as the place that is supplying it is the same as most of the local plumbers use anyway, he said he would get it if i wanted, but if i got it i could hang the radiators myself, saving alittle time and money.

all the plumbers contacted are corgi registerd.

I came here as i thought i would get a general feel for the manifold issue.

sorry to have botherd you all.

gorgi,gassafe. it doesnt matter your having an oil boiler installed OFTEC. take it the tank is also being installed as well OFTEC.love to know if the burner will be set up afterwards. and they have the relevant analyser and gauges and smoke pump.

...I came here as i thought i would get a general feel for the manifold issue...
So you didn't post here because you had your doubts about the quality of your installer, or his expertise; you wanted to share a better way of doing things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back