new chop saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
righto chaps and chapesses,
my dear old faithful elu sliding chop saw (similar if not the same as the dewalt in screwfix for £330) has decided it doesnt want to work anymore :cry: dunno why after only 15 years wouldve thought it might of lasted at least until i had retired :LOL:

anyways now need a new 1 the firm i work for are(HOPEFULLY)digging deep.
whats new?what do you recommend?

obviously i cant take the urine,took a looksie at the bosch and the makita,but i tend to think the makitas in all there entirety are show and no go(maybe im being harsh)but every time i pick up anything makita it breaks :rolleyes:

thoughts greatfully looked at.

cheers gregers

Sponsored Links
they have already taken it to the repairers and the quote was over £120
there thinking is they would rather invest that dosh into a new machine its there descision so im now window shopping so to speak.

ok what are your requirement !!
slider /trenching 60% cut/12" !!!

Sponsored Links
well thats where i draw a blank?
as far i im concerend i just want something to replace my old elu,either with the same criteria or better,would be nice to be able to do trench cutting though,my other chop saw has this facility but its a cheapy old sip i bought of off ebay about 4 years back(doesnt get much action).
is the wattagge on the motor really important?
bearing in mind this isnt a site saw anymore.but im going to get it in 110v guise anyway just in case ;)

:LOL: :LOL: thats the problem,im hoping in the region of about £400 fingers crossed,dont think there go to the biggy dewalt :LOL:

mmmm that looks rather nice.
amazing the ammount of peeps on here and they havnt put there 2pence worth in,so it seems even after nearly 15 years ELU/dewalt still seem to be the best when it comes to chop saws,think i better go with the devil i know and see if they will part with some dough.cheers for the feedback BIG.

dewalt do good saw[ ex elu ;) ]

makita and bosch are others though well thought off

complaints in general about dewalt are that equipment that comes as standard with bosch makita and others like dust bags clamps chip blocks ect are looked upon as extras

i cant knock my dewalt dw708 (they dont make it anymore!) very accurate, been worked hard for 6 years, still going strong. used fordecking, sleepers and internal stuff.

many thanx for that thermo,fancy doing your 8k post for little ole me, :LOL: :LOL:

well i took delivery of my new chop saw yesterday,and so far very impressed by the looks of it,havnt actually used it in anger yet TYPICAL.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21907...itre-Saws/Bosch-GCM8S-216mm-Sliding-Mitre-Saw

does the trenching as big suggest(and i wanted ;) )
got a laser facility and a light,mmmmmm dunno how much use a light is???
and even though on my sip chopsaw there is a laser facility are they accurate?
anyway looks good,seems well built only time will tell!!.

the laser puts a line where the blade will cut not for illumination ;) :D

if the bosch is like my dw712 you will need to pack out the fence to allow the trench to be level to the back

in otherwords the dead centre bottom is the maximum depth on the blade
on the dewalt the centre off the blade stops around 1" from the fence so to stop the back off the trench turning up with the blade you need to pad it out to the mid point off the saw blade

:LOL: :LOL: i know that you plan... :LOL:
on the bosch there is also a light to light up the work peice your cutting,
what i meant is,does the blade cut through the center of the laser beam that has been projected onto the wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back