new combi boiler installation

It does sound like a self install starting to go wrong!

Solicitors are now asking for gas, electrical and Fensa Certificates!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
One can only recomend/ suggest what work should be carried out on an installation. You say too much/ suggest too much, it ends up looking like you are trying to create work.

When (if I can be bothered) someone wants his/ her boiler replaced, I give then a quote that has all 'attachments' listed. Attachments are full system cleanse, compliance with Part J, Gas pipe discharge, TRVs and roomstat etc. In almost every case, my bottom price is far in excess of someone sourcing a boiler from B&Q. I will almost always want to use copper pipe for all plumbing (and it does take longer)

Hi all, Thanks for your comments, the original installer used to wear a british gas jacket ;) and said he worked for british gas for years.. got to know from a plasterer yesterday that he is unwell and in hospital..

This is lesson learnt for ever. I didn't check for his CORGI registration as he said you are CORGI registered if you work for British Gas, and did not tell me that registration expires when you leave them. And before you think that route, he was not cheap either.. :cry: I paid him £100 a day for the days he worked. The work was supposed to be done in 3 days but took longer, thanks to his competence.

Now I think I will get TRVs, 22mm gas pipes and misc plumbing work done through this new guy who has shown me his CORGI registered card.

Thanks for you help again. Cheers..

"""I didn't check for his CORGI registration as he said you are CORGI registered if you work for British Gas, and did not tell me that registration expires when you leave them""".

Even if he was still working for British gas then is is NOT registered to do work "on the side". The BG registration only applies to when he is doing BG work. Being registered independently would cost about £200 per annum and not many BG people bother with that.

I am glad that you have now realised that a proper registered person is likely to be best.

Dont forget you can report that fellow for doing unregistered work. You would not want anyone else to have all the problems that you experienced would you?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile wrote "It does sound like a self install starting to go wrong! "

£100/day !! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back