New combi in, now to choose the shower...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a Valiant ecotec 28 installed last week. It replaced a Baxi Bermuda as we wish to replace the downstairs bathroom with an upstairs one, and the water tanks needed to go.

All seems fine but we can see the drop in flow to other hot and cold taps when the bath is running full blast, but were expecting this. We are mainly showerers so not running massive baths on a regular basis.

What we need to decide on now is the shower. This would be upstairs (right next to boiler if tht makes a difference) and we have been looking at thermostatic ones. HOwever, now slightly concerned about the water pressure. On the regs bumf wth the boiler, the plumber has stated water flow rate 8l/min. This sounds low but presumably this is the hot output from the boiler rather than the mains in? If so, is this sufficient to run most thermostatic showers? Should big drench heads be avoided? Or, if this is the mains in, are we doomed? We've just done a quick test with the bucket and kitchen tap and it's 12l/min but maybe that is just because of the the time of day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks PlumbGas, I've just spoken to them and they also think that 8l/min is likely to be the hot from boiler rather than mains. They said that all their thermostatic showers for use with combis are desigined to work on min 8l/min so any should be fine but ones with 8' drench heads won't be.

I'll look at aqualisa, mira - are there any other good names to look out for?

Sponsored Links
I've always found Deva to be reliable. Have a look at their full range
www.deva.org.uk

If you find a local supplier who deals with them regularly then you'll probably get them cheaper than retail price. ;)

K

i got a bristan shower at home and its brilliant, its a thermostatic one so it keeps the water the same temp even if someone running the cold tap in the house... i dont get burnt.... or cold if the hot tap on...

im my rental house i have mira showers, got it basically because it was cheap as it was offer at the time, its a good shower mind and i have used it a couple of time when my house been empty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back