new combi installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am building a kitchen extension and the very old wall hung boiler (pumped heating/gravity hot water) has been removed. Corgi engineer instantly recommended new combi. Is this the way to go? four bedroom semi (two adults two teenagers). Also how should old pipe work be flushed? When old boiler was taken down, filthy brown water drained out. What should i specify to engineer regarding flushing etc. to make sure this gets done.

Sponsored Links
there are losts of posts on this forum about combis, try a search. Personally i like them, but i think it would not be suitable for you / your family

Breezer is right may not be suitible

ask your engineer about storage combis they might fit the bill better

If you have a combi, you generally don't have any hot water if the boiler is not working, ie no backup. Don't get rid of your hot tank, and if you keep the tank, you don't need a combi. Don't get talked into having one, YOU make the decision.

Sponsored Links
okay i get the general consensus regarding combi's but how should the pipe work be flushed because i know unless i insist this is done, it won't. can you just run water through until it runs clear or is there more to it?

One of the cases where powerflushing is justified. It would be useful to add some system cleaner and run it for a couple of weeks before powerflushing, but not really practical in the summer. The powerflushing will take a couple of hours to set up, and then all day of continuous activity, stirring up the whole system and then each radiator in turn.

The installer has NO choice in the matter- all boiler changes MUST be chemically cleansed the treated. Once all work has been completed, same should be done to the Benchmark logbook. If benchmark logbook is not completed, consider the work to be half done.

There is no reason why a goo boiler (say a Vokera linea or Baxi 105) could not be used for supply of heat and hot water to the kitchen, with cylinder supplying water to the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back