New concrete on old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I need to lay some concrete over an old concrete step and along the edge of a pathe thats broken away and cracked in places.

Can any one please advise me as to if the new concrete will bond with the old or is there something that I can do to make them bond.

Unfortunately I cant remove the old step and path and start from scratch so any tips are greatly appreciated.

the old concrete on the step has allowed moisture to penetrate in to the wall behind it if I add a waterproofer to the new concrete will it stop the moisture penetrating.

thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
the thicker the new concrete the better as the weight and thickness will make bonding to old irrelevant.

you will get a better bond however, if you thoroughly wet the old concrete first.

a well mixed, slow cured and properly trowelled concrete surface should be impervious to water.

You can scabble the concrete surface to roughen it up and allow the new to bond a little.

Sponsored Links
i've done a similar job, with regard to the chipped edge i fixed screw in wall ties, a bit like half a wall tie with a thread at one end. You drill and fix a raw plug then screw in the tie ( Also known as starter ties) into the original edge, fix your shuttering and fill with concrete and cover. This holds the new concrete to the original

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back