New Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased an induction hob but after looking at installation it would mean I would take the only spare socket in the consumer unit to have it wired in.

So thinking logically it would be more prudent (and cheaper in the long term) to change the consumer unit at the same time.

I wanted an opinion on what to look for in consumer units, I have been recommended to have a split load consumer unit.

What make and possibly model would you recommend?
Are preformed ones with everything filled out ok?

Sponsored Links
You do realise that this work is a) notifiable and b) not simply a case of replacing old with new?

Either way, Hager are nice, Wylex are commonly used. Depends on your budget to be honest.

I've only had one quote for the moment and it's £220 for just the cooker, and £380 for a new box and the cooker, to be honest I would rather do the new box for the little extra, especially if I add other things that require space from the box.

I was also wondering the size of the box is 5+5 ok? or would you pick a larger one?

5+5?

Hard to say as we don't know how many circuits you have at the moment.

I take it you don't have 30 mA RCD protection on any or some the circuits?

If your board is outdated it would be a good idea to replace it, and allow room for new circuits such as an electric shower or outside supply.

I like Hager, failing that Crabtree or Wylex. MK are also often recommended.

Sponsored Links
You mention 'split load' board. A dual RCD board is the usual way of doing things now. A high integrity board is useful for circuits you don't to be RCD protected; or ones that when a fault develop it won't effect the other circuits - via the use of RCBOs.

Alternatively get an ordinary board and fit RCBOs instead of MCBs - this could prove expensive though.

Discuss with your electrician your expectations and he will advise you accordingly.

That would depend on what you can see your future needs may be, say a new extension or a conservatory -and how much of the capacity of the new board you have used up.
Ten way is usually adequate for an average house of three bedrooms, depends entirely on you though.

Changing a consumer unit is not a DIY job unless you have access to proper test equipment and know how to use it.
The safety of your entire electrical installation depends on it. Also changing a consumer unit will not necessarily make your installation any better if there are hidden problems.

I've only had one quote for the moment and it's £220 for just the cooker, and £380 for a new box and the cooker?
£160 for a new consumer unit is far too low.
For that price, you can expect this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=277320[/QUOTE]

The quote was for half a days labour to do just the cooker, test, install etc, or a full day for the consumer unit, a flat fee for both which shouldn't take more than a day - but I have got some other work for him to do also so it is really taking something out leaves a difference of 120 which in my mind is reasonable to do that.

I am currently using 5 out of 6 slots (am not an electrician and don't understand everything hence why the questions).

Just to clarify I am not installing this myself, I just wanted advise as to what to look for in equipment, this is my first and only quote thus far the rest are coming round next week.

I just wanted to gain an understanding on what to look for in a consumer unit.

The house is 3 floors, 5 bed. I can't add a conservatory even if I wanted to as the garden is only 3 metres long.

As Sparkwright has said discuss it with your spark for how many ways you need. seems to me if the board is not crammed and you are having only one addition with no future additions planned or foreseen then a ten way dual rcd wlll be adequate. It may be that your spark may advise a few RCBO's to increase discrimination seen as it is three floors to avoid inconvenience .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back