New Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about fitting a New Consumer Unit. I know that Buildings Control will have to be notified if I decide to do the job myself. My electricity supply does not currently have an isolator after the meter so I would not be happy doing this work before an isolator was in place. My question is who can fit the isolator? I phoned EDF energy (my supplier) and they said they do not do that which seems strange to me as it is their wiring after all. Any help appreciated. Steve.

Sponsored Links
They'd need to come out and de-energise the existing installation then an electrician could fit an isolation switch for you.

As far as I was aware, it's the supplier who is responsible for liaising with the local power authority to arrange the fitting of an isolator so it seems that EDF could be giving you the run around.

There may be a small charge for this or it could be free - I think it depends on supplier.

Expect a wait of four to six weeks.

Fred.

If EDF will not fit the isolator you will have to call them out to de-energise the supply then get a sparky to fit the isolator and then get EDF back out to re-energise. You may be able to fit the isolator yourself but some DNO's require a certificate before re-energising to prove everything is up to scratch which you couldn't give them. Give them a ring, and see what they say about that.

Also rewiring isn't a DIY job and I would highly recommend you get a pro in to do it. But it's your choice...

Davy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers, really appreciate that. What kind of isolator should be fitted? What should the rating be? Can anyone specify a specific type that is commonly used?

If I got someone in to fit the new consumer unit then how would they do the job? Would they have to call the electric board to de-energise the system (I guess that means pulling out the big fuse) and then call them back to re-energise? Would this all happen within one day as we don't want to be without electricity for any length of time.

steve1811uk said:
What kind of isolator should be fitted? What should the rating be? Can anyone specify a specific type that is commonly used?

One of these fitted with one of these.

steve1811uk said:
If I got someone in to fit the new consumer unit then how would they do the job? Would they have to call the electric board to de-energise the system (I guess that means pulling out the big fuse) and then call them back to re-energise? Would this all happen within one day as we don't want to be without electricity for any length of time.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80624

The reality is that you WILL be without power for some length of time. Not everywhere in the house but some parts will be dead for the period of time between the old being removed and the new being installed, tested and finally energised.

Hi All just an update. I phoned EDF energy again and told them I wanted an isolator fitting between the meter and CU. The nice Geordie lady then said she would liaise with the people who are responsible for that. She rang me back after five minutes with an appointment in 3 weeks time to have the isolator supplied and fitted for free !!! If you don't ask you don't get...Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back