New controls for saw bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Not sure if this is best here or in the electrics forum, but...

I've just inherited a beautiful electric saw bench from an elderly relative. It dates from between the first and second world wars, and is of wonderful quality with a tilting cast iron table and fence (with micrometre adjustment), and a selection of equally well made accessories (including a sliding adjustable bevel cross fence). It is in virtually unused condition and works perfectly.

The only snag is that it is turned on and off by an awkward (but beautiful) bakelite switch. I want to get an electrician to rewire it (it knocks out the workshop trip every ten or so starts) and want to replace the existing switch with something that has a nice big red stop button. If it is also possible at a reasonable price, I'd like to have it 'soft start' so that it doesn't make me jump quite so much.

I'll obviously discuss all this with the electrician, but since it is a little out of the ordinary, I wanted to ask some advice on what is possible.

TIA,
Marcus

Sponsored Links
You will likely need a proper started as the larger machines draw a lot of current (Amps) on start up, this should not be hard for an electrician used to commercial work. I like a big stop button where you can knock it off with your knee in a hurry.

I would also get them to wire in a 16amp socket on a dedicated circuit from your consumer unit, thats if 16A is big enough, sparks should be able to test to see what it draws on startup.

Jason

Sponsored Links
you can buy a switch of the type you're looking for from places like Axminster power tools, you can plug your machine straight into it depending on the rating, they also prevent the motor from starting instantly if it is plugged in, it has a green and red button, start and stop, they are called a no volt release switch as seen here
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-too...r-table-switches/DKA69/no-volt-release-switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back