New cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wired a new cooker in today to a CU trip and found out that the trip was duff never been used as we used gas last 15 years, but the board makers went broke and I cant get a replacement trip.

So my option are, fit a new CU or a new additional one just for the cooker trip.

Now, can I remove the tails from the original CU and place them into something I have seen called a Henley Block and then run two sets of tails from the Henley Block, one in to the old CU and the other into the new cooker one as putting a single trip for the cooker has got to be cheaper and quicker then replacing the older CU

Sponsored Links
Ooooh! I have a feeling that it would be wiser if you don't.

Perhaps you could post the circuit design calculations and figures and prove me wrong.

Don't forget to notify the Local Authority Building Control before you start.

Ooooh! I have a feeling that it would be wiser if you don't.

Perhaps you could post the circuit design calculations and figures and prove me wrong.
Those details are irrelevant to the major wrongness of the OP's proposal.

Unless his meter has a built-in isolator.

Sponsored Links
Now, can I remove the tails from the original CU and place them into something I have seen called a Henley Block
Does your meter have a built-in isolator?

And even if it does, for the circuit to supply the cooker, how will you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use? (No, you can't just copy what's there because it's going to become your responsibility and what's there might be wrong.)

Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit? You cannot assume that what's currently installed is OK, and you need to check it before starting work.

Do you understand how the way in which cables are installed affects how much current they can carry? (No, you can't just copy what's there because it's going to become your responsibility and what's there might be wrong.)

Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

What about the tests you should carry out after the installation? What sequence will you do them in and at what point will you energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

no spares in the board? 32A should be big enough..

theres always the option of getting a sparky in, they may have spares..
failing that a new CU costs about £100 fully populated while a smaller CU with the henleys and extra cabling won't be that much cheaper, plus then there's still the problem of no spares for the old board..

of course you should get it fitted by a sparky either way..

There are companies out there that still stock old parts, have you tried googling the name?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back