new CU

I too see nothing wrong with a TT supply, possibly even prefer it to TN-C-S.

Sponsored Links
So you prefer a fault loop which is too high to allow an MCB to operate.

This correspondence is now closed - it is not possible to use reason to argue against opinions not arrived at by that method in the first place.

I've had three occasions in two residences where the CNE has been lost. :evil:

TNS FTW!

Sponsored Links
The problem is that he says TNC-S is the world's best earthing arrangement, and therefore anyone who thinks otherwise is:
a) Wrong
b) An idiot
c) Dangerous
d) Incompetent

It's actually not a bad delusion to have - if you know that you're always right about absolutely everything (even subjective issues), the by definition anyone who disagrees is wrong. Simples. :rolleyes:

So you prefer a fault loop which is too high to allow an MCB to operate.

Yes. Leave that to the RCD, and the MCB for Phase-Neutral shorts. What's the problem? :confused:

Well, if you have a TT supply, you are limited in choice. You should not use a metalclad board. You must RCD-protect all circuits.

I also happen to agree with Ban on the following:

If you have the opportunity to install PME, I believe it is better, not only because of the above reasons, but also to have a low EFLI than a high one and then have to rely on an RCD to disconnect within the required time.

After all, RCD's are renowned for failing, as electro-mechanical devices surely do.

Strange isn't it, that LoveRocket and MrsBanal have not accused you of being deluded.

I wonder why that is?

One might almost think that their criticisms of my post were motivated not by disagreement with what I wrote but rather by a childish and irrational desire to have a pop because of who wrote it.

But surely nobody could be that stupid and pathetic, could they?

Are you two sharing the same PC whilst communicating to each other via the internet? Right - it's MY turn now :evil:

Nothing to do with me - just trying to find out if MrsBanal has got genuine grounds for criticising what I wrote, or if he is just a pathetic, inadequate and below-average-intelligence little twerp.

Actually I would put TN-C-S as lowest on my list, and would have said that whether it was you or someone else that said it. Now if we implemented TN-C-S like in some other countries where a stake is inserted at every property to form part of the multiple earthing then I would rate it higher.

Actually I would put TN-C-S as lowest on my list, and would have said that whether it was you or someone else that said it..
Go on then:
If you have the opportunity to install PME, I believe it is better, not only because of the above reasons, but also to have a low EFLI than a high one and then have to rely on an RCD to disconnect within the required time.

And when you've done that perhaps you'd like to explain why you didn't put forward a reasoned engineering-based argument preferring TT over TN-C-S instead of just agreeing with a personal attack from LoveRocket.

PME is prefered for the following reasons

lower EFLI
reliable earth connection
MCB can operate if RCD fails on a line to earth fault

one downside is that should the neutral break then the installation can be at potential but you make get false 'dead' readings due to lack of return path on either neutral or earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back