new digital camera.....?

Richardp said:
I run a website which requires people to send in daily photo's the best of which are from a chap using a FinePix S5600 the pic's are consistantly really really good costs less than £180.

I've got one of those, nice camara :) , but unfortunatly doesn't fully compensate for my lack of talent :LOL: (I'm learning and practising tho :) )

[on the viewfinder point, the S5600 has both a screen on the back and an electronic viewfinder, which as you say is usful when you are outside in the glareing sun]

A point to note to the OP is that there are different catorgories of camaras, for example there are the compact ones that most people go for, that are compact and generally fairly to use, then in the middle there are pro-sumer camaras like the S5600 that look a bit like SLR camaras and have more features than compact camaras, then right at the top are the real SLR camaras used by the pro's and the really serious hobbyists

Sponsored Links
Ah - but does that Fuji have a magnesium alloy body? ;) ;)

Re the basic categories of cameras - the compact ones actually cost more than the larger non-SLR ones.

BAS has got a point there...buld quality can have a baring on your selection..most picture quality of the compacts is a bit of a much of a muchness but some of the lesson known brands do have a cheap and nasty feel to them and you get the impression they are not made to last.

my mum wants a mobile phone that makes calls and receives calls... nothing more, nothing less.
She wishes that she could get one with out having to have fancy other stuff.

To be honest, I want to point and shoot!!!! I would love to be able to be a good photographer and use different settings to get fantastic shots but...... in reality we need to be able to grab the camera , and take a decent snap!!! ... so simple is what we want.

Sponsored Links
What type of camera are you after, a compact one which fits in your pocket or a full size one?

quite small... hand bag size... spark.
my sis has a very good camera but rarely uses it as they cant be bothered to lug it about

I am on my 3rd fuji fine pix (first one i dropped)

i also keep one at home the other in the car (hence 3)

it has optical zoom and an auto setting.

I do know about its settings, i used to take photography very serioulsy untill the advent of digital cameras.

Just because a camera has lots of options / combinations doesn't make you a photographer

the problem is that what ever camera you get you will soon wish you had brought the other one.

I have a fuji finepix F460 which is ideal, I brought it as the finepix generally got a good writeup in Computer Active. It takes excellent pictures, uses XD picture cards, approx 200 pictures in 5megapixel fine on a 512MB card. The only downside I found is lack of a viewfinder.
Currys website, note printer is also selected. XD card is also extra.

toffee said:
quite small... hand bag size... spark.
my sis has a very good camera but rarely uses it as they cant be bothered to lug it about
Toffe, basically all camera' have pros and cons - the best advice people can give you given the VERY limited you have posted here is NOT to go above 5Mp unless you know why you might need more megapixels (I have increadible prints off one of my old 2Mp cams!) and if you want zoom at all then optical only as mentioned previously. Also consider Lens speed (f2.8 MINIMUM for low light party shots etc) Also think about memory card types and battery types and cost of replacments.
Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0634?v=glance&n=560798&s=electronics&v=glance sounds like the sort of camera you want but above all goto Jesops or curry's or wherever and make sure you are comfortable with the feel i.e. try b4 u buy!

BTW check out www.dpreview.com & http://www.steves-digicams.com/

ban-all-sheds said:
Ah - but does that Fuji have a magnesium alloy body? ;) ;)

Re the basic categories of cameras - the compact ones actually cost more than the larger non-SLR ones.

they are not available with a magnesium body. ;)

The best advice I was given when I bought my camera was to go to a few high street stores where you can see the real size, weight quality etc. Once you are happy with the make and model then you can shop around on t'internet for the best price.

I have a Pentax Optio S40 at the moment which I am very happy with, but I still cant work out how to take photos of a bright thing in the distance, when I am somewhere dark (Like the stage of a concert or the pitch of a floodlit rugby match)

Spark123 said:
I have a fuji finepix F460 which is ideal, I brought it as the finepix generally got a good writeup in Computer Active. It takes excellent pictures, uses XD picture cards, approx 200 pictures in 5megapixel fine on a 512MB card. The only downside I found is lack of a viewfinder.
Currys website, note printer is also selected. XD card is also extra.

I'm about to get a fujifilm finepix f11. But! it's got no veiwfinder like yours. According to the spec from jessops it says the lcd screen adjusts to light conditions. Are they all like this now? Would you say dont get one without a viewfinder ?.
Thing I like about this one is fast start up 1.3 sec, long battery life, etc. and got a good write up in computer active. I'm only after something for hols, smaller the better.
cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back