New dishwasher using the old waste pipe..ok or terrible idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
First post, I have taken a look around but not been able to find an exact match, so apologies if I have missed it. Ok the issue:

Whirlpool integrated dishwasher gave up the ghost, pump failure according to the diagnostic lights. The replacement comes tomorrow.

Pulled the old washer out and hit a problem, the existing waste pipe disappears behind the sink, so no way to pull it out. The sink unit is in solid so would not want to try moving that.

I am assuming the new machine will have a similar integrated hose.
So perhaps:
1. I can cut the new hose get an adapter to connect it to the old pipe - it would not extend the length at all.
Or

2. cut through the back of the under sink unit and use the new hose.

3. Some other magic solution,

Cheers for reading.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Where does the old waste pipe connect to the waste? Sink trap on a spigot

Thanks for quick response. Not 100% sure, I can look behind units from the one side and I am pretty sure it is not a spigot.

I reckon it is probably sensible to cut through unit back or perhaps try and prise it off..

I don't see why you can't do either as you suggest but you'd probably want to check the old hose and the waste pipe is clean and clear from obstruction. And be sure to loop the hose and at the right height as per install instructions.
Just be sure you don't kink the hose whilst fitting new machine which can happen particularly with extended hoses.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Yardie, I will bear it in mind,

just finished cutting through, I did not see an alternative, on the plus side the hose is detached (it was clear and no spigot) I reckon I can get the new one under to feed it back the way the old one went.

There was no way I could get it back on without making the hole though; I will stand by that statement when my wife sees the mess :)

Cheers again for the responses, really appreciated.

Quickly tidy your mess so theres no evidence of your crime, she'll never know!
Then use all those cleaning utensils and fluids that rarely get used to conceal the unsightly hole!

You have done it how it ought to be done, properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back