New door frame size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am installing some new hardwood doorframes. I have already bought some new oak doors. They are 30 inch ones.

The thing I need to know is what size to make the new door frames to accomdate a 30" door?

Should it be made slightly bigger that 30" or exactly 30"?

Also any other tips on fitting a new frame would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is supposed to be a gap just large enough to slide a 2p piece all the way round apparently. That is how the Clerk of Works want them on sites . Unless you have a lot of experience then you may not quite be that precise but if you allow yourself 2-3mm each side extra then if it is slightly tight you always have the option of taking a shave off the door rather than making the casing too wide and having the door not wide enough for the frame.
Regarding fitting the casings the best advice is to take your time and ensure all aspects of the casing are fitted level because if it is out even by a little then it will show when you hang the door. Also in hardwood it is a good idea to pilot drill with a smaller diameter drill bit before you fix with screws because it makes it easier to drive the screws .

Many thanks for your help Daz. :D

I think Ill make the casing just a few mill extra that 30" . And if its still tight ill shave the door a little.

Cheers mate ;)

heeelllooo benjamin

depends on how accurate and square you think you can make
your frames as bazd say you need 2 or 3mm clearence all round
if you can make the frame accurate and square just give your
self about 5mm clearence [2.5 x 2.5]
the way i secure frames is folding wedges [a wedge on top of
a wedge]to give a paralel surface to screw to via the frame
you tap the folding wedges in untill the frame is level
all round [or 1mm proud] you then screw through the wedges
and tighten till the frame is pulled in line
are you securing frame together and battoning it parralel

big all

Sponsored Links
Thanks Big-all,

Im going to make the frame 1st then fit battons on the bottom to help keep the shape.

However all work on the framing has stopped at the moment. A mate took the measurments and orders the wood. However I have noticed that the width is 95mm whereas the old frames were 85mm. Because of this the architrave will not go on properly.

I may have to take the frames back to get them re-sized :cry:

dont forget to nail one or two diagonals between the head and sides
to keep the frame square
nail into the frame where the arcatrave will cover the holes

95 mm is the finnished planed size for 4 inch wood
easiest way to reduce it is through a table saw

good luck

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back