New Drain Line into existing manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Im after some advice please. This is a bit difficult to explain so i have added some pics.
I am adding an ensuite to the house. As part of this i am adding a new soil stack as the original soil stack is at the back of the property and ensuite is at the front.

My problem is i need to route this stack/line into the existing manhole. I am adding and IC where there is a change in direction. The direction this new line enters the manhole is opposite to the direction the manhole currently flows.

I was thinking of breaking into the manhole and then benching a substantial enough bend to direct towards the outlet flow.
Can anyone advise if this is ok or if there is a better solution. I do not want to in anyway alter the existing clay pipes which i think are 6 inch.

I have added a bend straight over the outlet (not blocking it) - this is just a dry run for illustation - do you think this is ok or does it need to come in and benched into a bend towards the flow.

I have building control involved who i can call out at some point but im just wondering the options

Attachments

• 1a323b5b-76a8-4dfe-8214-6e5b6e417bc0.jpg
    1a323b5b-76a8-4dfe-8214-6e5b6e417bc0.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 2,687
  • 1d4f0326-ea35-4416-8eb6-027a971f1b7b.jpg
    1d4f0326-ea35-4416-8eb6-027a971f1b7b.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 769
  • 61f87833-ff30-4cbe-bd74-8870dc0a1250.jpg
    61f87833-ff30-4cbe-bd74-8870dc0a1250.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 718
  • a76bc25d-ed51-4614-801d-fab0c12c087a.jpg
    a76bc25d-ed51-4614-801d-fab0c12c087a.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,400
  • aa095d16-980f-4f0e-befb-af9c92d197dc.jpg
    aa095d16-980f-4f0e-befb-af9c92d197dc.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 822
  • captions.jpg
    captions.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 1,018
Sponsored Links
You can't come into the inspection chamber in completely the opposite direction to the flow of the drain like that.

Agree with Leo, you could install another chamber further up and use that to change direction back into main sewer, poor planning.

Agree with Leo, you could install another chamber further up and use that to change direction back into main sewer, poor planning.
Ok thats sounds like a plan.
Would that all be BCO compliant?.

Sponsored Links
The existing chamber has an old fashioned interceptor trap and is pants. Your new SVP requires a rest bend at the bottom instead of that knuckle 90.
The lot wants grubbing up from the house corner including that troublesome interceptor chamber.

Start by building new plastic IC on the house corner and another on the site of the existing chamber (unless that junction becomes obsolete). You then work back from the lowest point to your other drain locations i.e. new SVP (with rest bend) etc.

My svp is further down the side alleyway and has a rest bend already. The trench dug out down the side alley of the house is the route i wanted to bring it and then a change in direction into the current inspection chamber. This change in direction is the big hole dug out on the corner of the house for a IC.
The old pipes are clay and too close to the house corner. They go straight out into the road. Also this is a shared sewer. What would you advise in this scenario?.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

My svp is further down the side alleyway and has a rest bend already. The trench dug out down the side alley of the house is the route i wanted to bring it and then a change in direction into the current inspection chamber. This change in direction is the big hole dug out on the corner of the house for a IC.
The old pipes are clay and too close to the house corner. They go straight out into the road. Also this is a shared sewer. What would you advise in this scenario?.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
Also the clay knuckle 90 coming up you refer to is a connection for the rainwater line from the front of the house. That was there before and is connected to the main sewer line that goes out into the street

You can't come into the inspection chamber in completely the opposite direction to the flow of the drain like that.
I have to disagree - flow is not opposite, it's downward into the trap. Unconventional but it would flush the trap better. If the double socket was replaced with a single socket there would be a bit more clearance . I would do that and run it by B.C. stating my arguement for it.

I have to disagree - flow is not opposite, it's downward into the trap. Unconventional but it would flush the trap better.
What trap , it's an inspection chamber :?::!: and how would you rod the drain anyway :?:

What trap , it's an inspection chamber
There is an old fashioned interceptor trap (4th image) in the existing manhole. Its a hangover from the Victorian era and no longer needed these days. They can be rather troublesome.

EDIT: us old boys have seen plenty.

Last edited:
The existing chamber has an old fashioned interceptor trap and is pants. Your new SVP requires a rest bend at the bottom instead of that knuckle 90.
The lot wants grubbing up from the house corner including that troublesome interceptor chamber.

Start by building new plastic IC on the house corner and another on the site of the existing chamber (unless that junction becomes obsolete). You then work back from the lowest point to your other drain locations i.e. new SVP (with rest bend) etc.
Here is where my svp is. This is the new one ive installed as a second stack. See attached image

Attachments

• 20191117_153446.jpg
    20191117_153446.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 368
Not sure what those connections are for , is that a gulley connected to an svp :?::!:

You should have come away from the house with your trench and fitted a new chamber here:

C962E961-EC0D-4EF7-8DBC-F84D89A0F5B2.jpeg

You could fit one in nearer the corner without much more digging.

You should have come away from the house with your trench and fitted a new chamber here:
and another inspection chamber to take a branch drain from the svp and a branch from the waste gulley if that is what it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back