New electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope someone can help!!

I have bought a new kitchen and a new 600m electric belling multioven, which can be connected via a 13 amp plug, I have just moved my 45amp cooker switch via a 45 amp junction box closer to where the new cooker will be thinking that I would have to connect the new cooker up the same way as my old one.

My old cooker is connected by 6mm cable to the cooker switch which is then connected to my 32amp breaker on 6mm cable.

Could I just change the cooker plate for a double socket and simply plug the new cooker in and does it matter that the cable from the distribution unit is 6mil.

Hope you can see what Im getting at!!

Sponsored Links
Does the old 6mm cable go to a connecting box on the wall behind the cooker?
If so, put a single 13A socket on there and plug in your new oven!

My old cooker runs from 6mm to a 45am junction box, then to the 45 amp cooker switch.

So I can just simply replace the cooker plate with a double 13amp socket and plug my new cooker in?

Thanks for the quick reply

Sponsored Links
"plate" meaning front cover, I was thinking that if I only have to plug the new oven in, I can get rid of the 6mil cable running from the cooker switch to the cooker and replace the cooker switch with a double socket and simply plug my 13 amp plug in.

Sorry if I am confusing you!

Sometimes there is a connection plate on the wall behind the cooker that is wired to the switch. If your cable from the cooker goes straight into the switch then sure, you can put a double socket there.

The 32A breaker can stay as it is.

Thanks very much for the help.

Would I be able to run my spur for my cooker hood off the cooker circuit or would it have to be seperate? I'd just run a 2.5mil spur then have a 3 amp fuse connecting to my cooker hood?

Thanks again.

J Sharp

NO as far as I know you should not spur off a cooker cicuit esp with 2.5mm cable although I know it happens.Could you not spur off a ring circuit for your cooker hood spur

newccugashobps9.jpg

Regulations allow you to wire additional equipment to a cooker circuit providing you use the same cable throughout (and that cable rating equals or exceeds that of the CPD) and that the existing circuit can support the additional load.

You can run everything you want here off what used to be your cooker circuit.

do you really want your cooker plugged in above the worktop?! I would think putting a socket where the cooker outlet plate was is probablly more sensible.

it is best practice to stay in one cable size up to a fuse point though it's not actually a requitement. Also putting two different sized cables in the same terminal can create problems.

Considering all that would give us the following layout.

[code:1]
-----incoming cable--. .--short 6mm cable--.
| | |
FEED FEED
FCU FCU
LOAD LOAD
| |
new 2.5mm cable existing cable
| that used to
socket for cooker hood feed cooker oulet
|
socket for cooker
[/code:1]

Make sure you use a brand of FCU and socket with suitablly big terminals in a sane arrangement (I would use MK logic plus) and deep (47mm) boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back