New Electric Shower

JP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good electric shower, the bathroom is already wired with 10mm cable and I'm interested in the best one I can find for anything upto £250.

Advice / opinions please,

thanks in advance.

JP

Sponsored Links
This is only personal experience.

Gainsborough/Redring/Showerforce prone to faults

Triton m-o-t-r

Mira better than average, although not as good as they once were.

JP said:
Can anyone recommend a good electric shower, the bathroom is already wired with 10mm cable and I'm interested in the best one I can find for anything upto £250.

Advice / opinions please,

thanks in advance.

JP

One question, how do you heat your hot water?

Gas or electric?

Sponsored Links
Combi boiler heats the hot water so I was advised to for an electric shower, have I had the right advice ?

I have seen an 11Kw one by a company called "Essentials" and B & Q gave it top marks in their "unbiased" test.

Anyone heard of "Essentials"?

JP

if you have a combi (like me) why do you want an electric shower?

Is that the same B & Q that commissioned mira to make a cheaper shower for them??

If you have a combi shower you don't need an electric one, just a shower unit that is compatible with a combi boiler

As everyone is saying, with a combi you don't need an electric shower. Now let's explain why:

A combi produces instantaneous hot water. This means that you don't need to use space and electricity to hold a tank of hot water and keep it hot.

An electric shower produces instantaneous hot water too...

Key differences are, combi boilers (if I have this right) have a higher energy output (30kW is a figure in my head) so you can have a higher flowrate for a given water temperature. Also combi hot water is cheaper per kilowatt as gas is half the price of electricity. And the final advantage, with a combi you don't need to have a whacking great ugly box bolted onto your bathroom wall. Instead you can have stylish, elegant fittings.

Bit of a bu**er for you seeing as you already have your 10mm cable in place! If you want a combi shower you will need to run hot and cold pipes instead of just the cold pipe.

I think the electric option is best for me because I'm not planning on being here long enough to reap the reward of cheaper gas and I don't want to disturb the tiling.

I shouldn't be trusting B & Q's advice then.

Where should I go for advice ?
Where is the best place for me to buy one from ?

Cheers
JP

JP, perhaps you should look into this more, the disturbance for an electric shower will be no less or greater that for the electric one.

However, if you want a shower (electric), find a Plumb Centre in the local area, or a dedicated Bathroom shop, they will have more info for you than B&Q.

The Best Showers about at the moment would appear to be Mira and Gainsborough. Triton used to be the best, but the last few years have lost their quality somewhat.

Feeding a shower direct from the combi boiler has distinct advantages as mentioned above, but some combi boilers really struggle to feed showers with hot water at a constant temp. Both my sister's and girlfriend's combi boiler-fed showers go from pleasantly warm to cold and back again all the time. I would go for an electric given that the circuit is already in place, and for your budget I would recommend the latest Mira Advance. I have a Triton 9.5 kW and it performs superbly, though I would like a more powerful unit eventually for decent flow rate during the winter, when incoming mains water temp. is much lower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back