New Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased a new 9.5kW electric shower and would like to know if can install using the existing wiring and MCB.

The existing wiring is 6mm approx 12m run with 50A MCB and goes through a 45A DP pullcord switch.

Would this be sufficient?

Or would i require to upgrade the cable to 10mm or change MCB to 45A.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The MCB will need changing to 45A at the most if you keep the 6mm² cable.

Does the shower cable run through insulation? Is it bunched with other cables? Is it run in trunking or conduit?

Sponsored Links
Through it? As in the cable is surrounded by the insulation? If so who the hell installed a cable with a max rating of 27A with a protective device rated at 50A?

Anyway, I would just bite the bullet and replace the cable with 10mm² at a minimum and make sure it is clipped well clear of any insulation. If you insist on keeping the 6mm² then clip it clear of any insulation and replace the MCB with 45A (assuming none of the other factors I mentioned above apply)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back