New Euro cylinder lock stuck with key inside and lock not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a uPVC kitchen door which opens onto a conservatory. It has a Euro cylinder lock which has recently become difficult to turn on one side and, on the other side, the key goes in but doesn't turn at all.

I easily removed the cylinder to measure it, put it back in successfully and bought this replacement: https://www.screwfix.com/p/union-6-pin-euro-cylinder-lock-45-55-100mm-satin-nickel/5371g

I fitted the replacement, which went in fine, and before I screwed it in I turned the lock which turned fine. However the key then got stuck in the upside down position and the lock won't work at all. I can't remove the key, can't turn it enough to activate the lock and can't turn it enough to remove the cylinder.

I've tried advice I've read online, including lightly knocking the cylinder, putting a spare key in from the other side and wiggling both at once, but nothing seems to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I did anything wrong in my technique of installing it, as I put the old one back in (before I bought the new one) and that went back in with no problems.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, probably not helpful, but may help with troubleshooting..
Since taking the old lock out, have you tested it? If the old eurocylinder moves freely, the issue could have been with the lock mechanism from the beginning.

As above, the problem sounds like it might be the locking points. Assuming that you can access the exterior hinges, it might be advisable to adjust them from the outside.

Post a photo of the hinges and someone should be able to tell you how to adjust them.

That said, the above would not explain the previous cylinder not working at all from the outside...

Sponsored Links
Sorry, probably not helpful, but may help with troubleshooting..
Since taking the old lock out, have you tested it? If the old eurocylinder moves freely, the issue could have been with the lock mechanism from the beginning.
Thanks, I'd wondered that too so I tested it. It behaves as it did when it was in the door, i.e. a bit sticky one side and doesn't work on the other.

As above, the problem sounds like it might be the locking points. Assuming that you can access the exterior hinges, it might be advisable to adjust them from the outside.

Post a photo of the hinges and someone should be able to tell you how to adjust them
Thanks, I'll post a photo later - I'm not sure how the hinges are related to the locking system though?

Also the locking system seems to work correctly if I manually push the 'levers' (that engage with the door frame) up or down, so I'm not sure that's at fault.

Thanks, I'll post a photo later - I'm not sure how the hinges are related to the locking system though?

Also the locking system seems to work correctly if I manually push the 'levers' (that engage with the door frame) up or down, so I'm not sure that's at fault.

I am only guessing, but when you push up the handle, it might not be fully engaging the mechanism. By that, I mean that the handle is not going up as far as it should.

An easy test would be to open the door, push up the handle and then turn the key. If it spins properly, the hinges need adjusting.

Reactions: CBW
I am only guessing, but when you push up the handle, it might not be fully engaging the mechanism. By that, I mean that the handle is not going up as far as it should.

An easy test would be to open the door, push up the handle and then turn the key. If it spins properly, the hinges need adjusting.
Ok, I see what you mean. I've just tried pushing the handle up and turning the key with the door closed, as well as with the door open, and unfortunately nothing is allowing the key to budge.

Looking into the mechanism it looks like the 'cam' can only move between the 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock positions when I turn the key, so there's some movement (whether the handle is up or not) but not enough to activate the lock and not enough to allow me to pull the key (or cylinder) out.

Ok, I see what you mean. I've just tried pushing the handle up and turning the key with the door closed, as well as with the door open, and unfortunately nothing is allowing the key to budge.

Looking into the mechanism it looks like the 'cam' can only move between the 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock positions when I turn the key, so there's some movement (whether the handle is up or not) but not enough to activate the lock and not enough to allow me to pull the key (or cylinder) out.

Fair play.

It might be a good idea to take a photo of the door edge so that someone more knowledgeable than me, eg @ronniecabers , can advise you further.

Best of luck.

So you’re unable to lock the door? Can you remove the screw that holds the euro so the key can be removed? Then maybe look at the mechanism, see if the hooks engage and retract?

So you’re unable to lock the door? Can you remove the screw that holds the euro so the key can be removed? Then maybe look at the mechanism, see if the hooks engage and retract?
That's right - I can't lock the door. Removing the retaining screw means the cylinder becomes loose, but the cam inside is in the wrong position so I can't get it out.

• Thanks
That's right - I can't lock the door. Removing the retaining screw means the cylinder becomes loose, but the cam inside is in the wrong position so I can't get it out.
Can you not manoeuvre it forwards and backwards using the key to pull and turn to remove it?

Can you not manoeuvre it forwards and backwards using the key to pull and turn to remove it?
Unfortunately not. The key will only move between the 11 o'clock and roughly 12 o'clock (actually more like 1 o'
clock) position, so a turn of about 60 degrees. I've tried all sorts to get it to move more (WD40, knocking it, pulling it, pushing it, moving it up/down) but it won't budge - and I don't want to risk snapping the key.

Attached are some photos showing the edge of the door and the extent of turn that the key will complete (you can just see the cam inside as well).

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_132146017.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132146017.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240427_132216513.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132216513.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240427_132225015.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132225015.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240427_132652158.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132652158.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240427_132658978.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132658978.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240427_132705118.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132705118.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240427_132711849_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132711849_HDR.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240427_132720221.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132720221.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240427_132723736.jpg
    IMG_20240427_132723736.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Thanks

To remove the cylinder, you need the key in the cylinder to turn the cam.

Sorry, if I am missing something.

Edit- sorry, I posted this at the same time as you. Have you tried the key on the other side of the lock? I wouldn't expect it to make any difference but it will only take seconds.

Last edited:
To remove the cylinder, you need the key in the cylinder to turn the cam.

Sorry, if I am missing something.

Yes, the key's in the cylinder lock (in fact it's jammed in and won't come out) and will only turn through an angle of 60 degrees - see photos above. It's just bizarre but the only thing I can think is that the new cylinder lock I put in is faulty which is why it's now totally jammed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back