New fixed appliance sockets inside kitchen cupboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got an electrician coming in to wire up my kitchen, and he's asked me how I want the sockets done in the kitchen cupboards for the adjacent appliances. Any suggestions on how this is normally done? Is the socket normally attached to the back of the unit (impossible to reach surely!), or is the socket attached to the side of the unit, in which case how is the cable run to the socket?

Any photographs to explain would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Sponsored Links
normal practice is to fit fused spur or Dble-pole switch (20A) above worktop controling unswitched socket either on wall behind or on side of unit, not on hardboard backing.

Socket can go inside cupboards, but i put them on the sides of the carcass, near to the front.

DP switches above the worktops is a valid method, but not the only one and not necessary

Indeed. I personally hate sockets behind appliances. The appliance plug has a fuse in it and the appliance has to be moved out if the fuse were to go.

I especially hate these behid integrated appliances and I especially hate them even more if I am doing PAT testing!

Sponsored Links
Indeed. I personally hate sockets behind appliances. The appliance plug has a fuse in it and the appliance has to be moved out if the fuse were to go.

I especially hate these behid integrated appliances and I especially hate them even more if I am doing PAT testing!

Hear hear on the PAT comment, and to really help can you get the installer to have the cable or the water feed pipes cut really short. I love squeezing into a small gap to get to a plug. :LOL:

Socket can go inside cupboards, but i put them on the sides of the carcass, near to the front.

Do you mean the socket is inside the carcass, or outside? I don't think we'll have space - the appliances are going to be right up against the sides of the adjacent cupboards I think! :S

I was thinking put the socket inside the cupboard, remove the plug from the appliance, thread the cable through a small hole near the socket and refit the plug? Do the same with the mains supply cable, run this along the outside of the carcass and thread it through behind the socket?

Russ

er, yes, that what i meant - inside the cupboard.

Some integrated appliances come fitted with a fairly slim line plug. I've used hole cutters around 60ish mm that they will pass through ok.

I was thinking put the socket inside the cupboard, remove the plug from the appliance, thread the cable through a small hole near the socket and refit the plug? Do the same with the mains supply cable, run this along the outside of the carcass and thread it through behind the socket?

Almost. The hole should be big enough to pass the plug through, so no need to cut the moulded plug off and fit a new one.

Ooh yes, lets not have that debate....

Here's what happens.

I have a schedule of items that are in a rent properties that are included in the rental. They need to be tested on an annual basis.

The list includes free standing appliances and integrated appliances.
The agent wants them all testing.
They all get tested.

I havent got the time or energy to discuss with the agent that the integrated dishwasher isn't portable but that the free standing refridgerator is portable....the moreitems that are tested per trip makes the visit more worthwhile. ;)

I'm having fused switches above the units & outlets below the units for the boiling water tap, built in DAB & waste disposal in the new kitchen

I wouldn't have thought that an integrated appliance required PAT testing as its not a portable appliance !

Here's what happens.

I have a schedule of items that are in a rent properties that are included in the rental. They need to be tested on an annual basis.

The list includes free standing appliances and integrated appliances.
The agent wants them all testing.
They all get tested.

I havent got the time or energy to discuss with the agent that the integrated dishwasher isn't portable but that the free standing refridgerator is portable....the moreitems that are tested per trip makes the visit more worthwhile. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back