New flat roof for the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had a new flat roof fitted for the kitchen. The original building was built in the 1970s.

A torch-on green slate top sheet was used and torch on underlay was also used.

Already, when the sheet is brushed, tiny pieces from the top sheet are becoming loose and coming off. No protection overcoats etc are present and the roof is roughly a week old.

What should I use regarding protection for the flat roof in the long run (eg chippings, painting etc)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is a mineral cap sheet then you need no other additional solar /uv protection.
Why are you brushing it?

Bits of the mineral will flake off, it is expected.

If the roof is within x metres of the boundary then the covering should be fire resistant etc.

Also, did the roofer install any insulation?

Sponsored Links
I can't imagine why anyone would be up there brushing a new roof, :rolleyes: but if you need to, then avoid using a wire brush, and stick to a soft broom

So am I right in thinking there is absolutely nothing I can do to make the roof last longer like roof chippings etc?

So am I right in thinking there is absolutely nothing I can do to make the roof last longer like roof chippings etc?

Yes. You can stop brushing the protection off the bloody thing and get a life.

The mineral surface on the felt negates the need for any additional protection.

Surface Protection

Built up felt roofs require a protective surface to prevent damage by UV radiation (solar) damage, human traffic and other impact.

Because asphalt is a natural product, it has a life span and the purpose of the finish is to delay degradation.

UV-rays in sunlight would otherwise have the capacity to oxidize the roof surface and cause the plasticisers to leach out causing the asphalt to become brittle and more prone to blistering and cracking, which can cause water leaks.

Top felt layer flat roof options include:

Stone chippings bonded in a non bituminous compound.
Mineral finish e.g. fine sand, green mineral aggregate or small slate flakes or sand bonded in a non bituminous compound.
Reflective paints which require re-application every 3 to 4 years.

http://www.k-roofing.co.uk/systems_materials/roofing_felt.htm

Yes. You can stop brushing the protection off the bloody thing and get a life.

An explanation of the purpose the mineral cap sheet is serving would be a more constructive answer to the op joseph...Your right though :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back