New flooring up to cavity under patio doors?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay laminate wood flooring in my lounge/diner but have stumbled across a problem after lifting the carpet. The patio doors are fitted on the outer brick work leaving the cavity exposed. When this flooring was layed the was bridged up to the bottom of the door frame but still left the cavity open underneath it. This bridge is not particularly stable and is crumbling away making it spongy all the way along. i have pulled a piece off so you can see the way they have done it. You can see the dpc coming in from the floor and going down into the cavity. The cavity has alot of sand/rubble in it also up to about the first brick line which im not sure is normal.

From using search i have seen several options such as a dpc pushed in the cavity and fill with concrete but im not 100% sure if this is the correct method or if i have any other options?

14102010263.jpg

14102010262.jpg

14102010264.jpg

Regards,

Joel

Sponsored Links
ok so i removed the crumbling ledge and dug the cavity out down about 2 bricks, is this ok? just want to be sure that pushing dpc into the cavity curving up to the dpc of the floor then filling with quick set cement is acceptable practice and wont cause any problems in the future. also, will i need to seal off each end with dpc making a cavity shaped pond before i fill it?

14102010265.jpg

any advice welcomed

Joel

Sponsored Links
Don't give up, Joely. I suspect all the regular, experienced people are out, making the most of the reasonable weather.

Have you searched for similar threads 'cos I have a vague recollection of a similar request only a few weeks ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back