New French door won't lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently fitted some upvc french doors I got from screwfix. Unfortunately I can't get them to lock - more specifically I can't turn the key in the lock sufficiently to get the centre bolt to move into a locked position. It won't even do it when the door is open.

The key moves a little in the lock, and the bolt moves a tiny bit but no more. The lock cylinder works fine when removed from the door.

I guessed that the mechanism was buggered because it was only a cheap door, but on buying another identical mechanism from eBay I'm still having the same problems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lockmaste...8?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item5aff7ecb4a

Any tips for me as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hope you don't think I am being funny but if it has a turning handle are you pushing it up far enough?

Fair question mate. Raising the handle as far as possible makes no difference.

On my other patio door you don't even need to raise the handle to lock the bolt, it just moves on the turn of the key.

Don't know if it is any help as I don't know if your's are sliding or French but my old sliding patio had a pin that had to be pressed in, if you tried it when the door was open you had to push it in by hand.

Sponsored Links
Sorry should have been clear, these are upvc french doors. Nothing else except handle and lock on show.

Well I've just pulled the mechanism out of the door again. Out of the door it still won't lock - the bolt moves slightly upwards as you turn the key, but doesn't move horizontally.

Could I have been unlucky twice with two faulty ones?

Hard to say without having a go in person but I would think it quite unlikely to have 2 duff lock mech's.

Id take the lock into a screwfix branch and get them to try it.

As its French doors is there a euro cylinder in the slave door you could try in the master door?

Victory!!!

In looking again, this particular mechanism does need for the handle to be lifted up fully to lock. However the bars (don't know technical name) which come from the handle and pull/push the top and bottom locking mechanisms were not aligned in such a way that it allowed for the bottom bar to let the lock mechanism work.

By shifting these bars downwards a cm and then re screwing the gear mechanism back to the rest of the lock mechanism it has works :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back