New garden steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to build a small patio/ walkway outside of my patio doors.
I am thinking of building three retaining Walls and topping them with wood beams
On top of the wood beams I have some Yorkshire stone I want to "cement" on.
The thing I want to know us;
1) How do I fix the wooden beams to the retaining Walls
2) How do I cement the yorkshire stone to the beams?

The next problem I have is that I want this edged with metal railings. Is this practical and easy to do?

Sponsored Links
There are some fundamental flaws with your plan. The main one being that mortar will not adhere to wood. You need to rethink your designs to have masonary to masonary. Timber can by all means be used as an edging but not as risers for steps or for copings.

I thought that may be tge case, however another gas told me differently. When I said beams, I was referring to sleepers. I presume tgis makes no difference

No different for sleepers. You can of course bed slabs onto timber but they don't actually stick to it which with steps would be pretty dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I will have to rethink how i am going to do this.

I have the stone for tge wall element, the Yorkshire stone for the top, I just don't know how to support tge Yorkshire stone on top.

In a nutshell I am looking to build a wall about three meters long, only three stones deep, probably about 6 standard bricks high.
I have allowed for three returns, on top of which I was going to put tge sleepers, clearly this would not works.

So simple advice on how to support the yourshire stone would be great, thanks

Sorry but i am struggling to understand what you mean. But if you are planning to use the yorkshire stone as copings then simply bed them on mortar. 4:1 would do.

If you are looking for advise on how to lay stone flags then lay them on a full bed of wet mortar. 5:1

Have a look at pavingexpert.com for further guidance on paving/flagging

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back