New Gas Fire - Scratches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to any gas fire fitters out there.

I'd be very grateful if someone could give the benefit of their experience.

I've taken delivery of a new Kinder Oasis HE inset gas fire. The box part, comprising the rear of the fire and made of galvanised steel, has a number of scratches, including one long, deepish one. I phoned the manufacturer's Technical Department and was told that the fires leave their factory with no scratches at all and I should return it to the supplier.

I phoned the supplier, and was told by someone, who said he had been in the gas fire trade for over 20 years, that all new Kinder fires are scratched on the back - they come from the factory like that. The scratches won't affect the longevity of the fire and any replacement would also be scratched.

The fire is guaranteed for life by Kinder - but perhaps the damage will negate the guarantee?

I don't know who to believe. However, looking at the scratches I think it highly unlikely that they could have occurred in transit. I suspect it left the factory like that.

It would be a nuisance to return the fire and wait for (chase up ???) a refund. Then if I bought again from another supplier I might receive one in a similar condition.

Does anyone know? Are new Kinder fires routinely scratched? Would the scratches be a problem? Do the backs of inset gas fires rust?

Grateful thanks to anyone who can help me on this.

Sponsored Links
Hi gavinda,

Photos are a good idea.

I've created a photo album, "Gas Fire".

It shows four photos of the scratches.

Anyone got experience of new gas fires?

Is scratching like this normal and OK?

Those scratches do not appear to be any problem with the fire, in fact it may even get more during the installation.

They are only to the rear of it where it will not be seen.

IMHO not even worth the petrol to return it to the supplier.

Sponsored Links
We install various makes of gas fires and doubt if we would notice the scratches in your photo. They do seem to be left there during manufacturing, but will not have any safety impact.

Thanks for the replies, mattylad and gremlin16.

Maybe the scratches don't matter. But why are the scratches there and who caused them?

Yesterday I sent Kinder an email, with a couple of the photos attached. Kinder advertise their high quality of manufacture and I was told that they don't send out fires with scratches.

I'll come back here with the reply. It may help others.

The fire is guaranteed for life by Kinder

Have you read the conditions of the guarantee?

The oxypilot must be changed every year by a corgi registered engineer or the warranty is void.

Its a con...IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back