New Gas Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about a new gas supply. Sadly we do not have gas to the house, although it is in the street.

Is it true that they will no longer fit meters inside the house?

Also I've heard 2 different versions of how the new supply is fitted.

1) National Grid said they mole in from the street
2) BG said they dig up the front and gave 2 different prices - 1 for them doing all the digging and another for us doing the digging on our property.

Any ideas what's correct? or can it be both?

Also we hope to have an extension which may mean the meter would need moving in about 6/9months time. any idea how much is typical for a meter move (few meters)?

Also is it allowed to install a meter in the garage?

I realise I could get these answers from BG/NG (or so you would think), but so far all I have got is endless phone queues and contradictory answers, so I though it best to check on real life experiences on here!!

Sponsored Links
I though it best to check on real life experiences on here!!

Oh yes, plenty of that here.

all I have got is endless phone queues and contradictory answers
Yes, that's what I always get too!

Basically you have to get all and sundry round to give you quotes. Try different gas providers. It's a mess. :cry:

All depends what is in the way wether mole or digging is used. Still put them inside if you ask.
Price gets broken down for each bit , so if concrete needs breaking up where the pipe comes up to either box or house entry tee and you do this it will the keep cost down.
When you want it moved in the future even though its not far you will be charged around 500 quid.
So if you can pick somewhere it wont need moving from you will save a few bob

I've got one quote on the way, BG said they don't need to come round they will work from maps!

A couple more questions have arisen;

Is it possible to retro fit the inset gas meter boxes?

Like these:
http://www.meterboxes.co.uk/content/METERBOXESdetails.asp?ID=13&CatID=23&TypeID=1

Secondly, when the pipe passes through the wall, can it be buried in the plaster/wall so that it can go to upstairs?

I realise this needs to be done by an RGI etc, but I want to know if this is possible before I put the meter in a stupid place!

Here are the fitting instructions for the inset box, but the same question applies, even if we have to have an external box.

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
I would say no... you would be better getting a sunken one rather than knock a huge hole on you wall, you would need a builder not a gas man for that job.

As for BG fitting a gas pipe...I never knew they did such things! Always though it was SGN or Transco did it.

That's what I thought, but apparently you have to go via the reseller (BG etc) and get them to quote. I suppose it's Transco who end up doing it anyway, but I have to go through the supply company.

Any ideas about my 2nd question; when the pipe passes through the wall, can it be buried in the plaster/wall so that it can go directly upstairs?

Basically where the meter would be sited, is on the living room wall, so when it comes through it needs to go upstairs to the boiler and across/under the floor (about 1.5/2m to the fireplace). So is burying the pipe in the wall ok? and can gas pipes go under the floorboards on the 1st floor. As I said before I know it has to be done by an RGI, but I need to know if it's possible to make sure I don't end up puting it in a stupid place :cry:

TIA :)

i had mine done last month, half sunken box in soil, i dug 2m on my land to 450mm, they dug 2m in road didn;t use mole as there was water and bt nearby? in road. Total cost was 226£ including the vat. :D toook them, from 8.30ish to about 1pm, 2 blokes, then a week later another gang came to repair, not sure how long they were there, but was much cheaper than the quote for £500 odd the previous owner got when they applied approx 3 years ago.

Thanks Steve, that's useful, I haven't managed to get a straight answer on depth as yet!

Out of interest, did you supply or ask for the sunken meter box? Also out of interest what supplier did you go via?

:)

Pipe can be buried in the plaster but it needs to protected with the appropriate tape or covering. And yes they can go under floor boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back