Moving gas meter for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has any advice.

I'm doing an extension and I'll be moving the location of the stairs. Ideally I'd like to move the gas meter too, but it's not essential to the plan.

I've seen the prices for doing this within 2 metres and they're hundreds of pounds, certainly not worth it for my project - but I presume that they include all the work involved with digging and construction.

Given that I'll be digging trenches for the extension anyway, is there a cheaper option to have the gas meter moved about 2 meters to the outside of the new extension wall?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has any advice.

I'm doing an extension and I'll be moving the location of the stairs. Ideally I'd like to move the gas meter too, but it's not essential to the plan.

I've seen the prices for doing this within 2 metres and they're hundreds of pounds, certainly not worth it for my project - but I presume that they include all the work involved with digging and construction.

Given that I'll be digging trenches for the extension anyway, is there a cheaper option to have the gas meter moved about 2 meters to the outside of the new extension wall?

Thanks in advance.

How old is the meter? We got ours moved during the swap for a new meter FOC.
We were lucky it fell when they were swapping the gas mains coming into the house.

But seriously, if your building an extension and a few hundred quid is off putting i'd think long and hard about it. If its a fair size £100's seem like pennies.

Certainly someone bothered by £200 is fitting a porch and not any proper extention which start about £25,000 these days!

Last I helped with cost about £600 to have wall mounted meter fitted to replace the internal one. Probably via gas supplier. I charged about £200 to connect to internal pipework and to connect to new cooker.

But I am having a new supply connected to an outside meter for about £347. Thats by NG directly.

Tony

Thank, a few hundred would be reasonable but the website suggested 1500-2000 which is certainly not pennies, and also not worth it given it's not essential to my plans. I would also end up having to move the electric meter.

A few hundred might be worth, I'll get some more advice from engineers in my area.

Sponsored Links
I'll get some more advice from engineers in my area.

it's not your local engineers you need to be speaking to it's National Grid or your gas supplier, they are the only ones that can relocate your incoming supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back