Moving Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I need to have the gas meter moved to a new location. I rang BG. They gave a number to call. I thought I ask friends on the forum while I am waiting to get through. what is involved in moving the gas meter.

A friend of mine had his moved three years ago. It cost him £600. Do I have to go through BG. What is the correct procedure. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yeah sorry to be the bearer of the message but u gotta get transco or BG to move it :( You can move anything up to the ECV but no further, as long as u are corgi reg.

if you are only wanting it moving within the confines of the anaconda, any corgi man can do it if he has MET1 cert. otherwise its a transco job (who will probably sub it out to united utilities up here in yorkshire and any number of other contractors elsewhere in the country.

Jezzy said:
if you are only wanting it moving within the confines of the anaconda, any corgi man can do it if he has MET1 cert. otherwise its a transco job (who will probably sub it out to united utilities up here in yorkshire and any number of other contractors elsewhere in the country.

Hi "Jezzy"

You have raised a very good point. I should have mentioned where the meter is at the moment. The meter is inside my new extended room sat on a bracket fixed on the wall what was once a coal room I renamed it boiler room because my combi boiler was in there.

Some ten years ago there was a gas leak and BG located it in the drive close to entrance to boiler room. They inserted new blue plastic pipe within the old steel pipe. I am not sure where they put the joint in leading to gas meter.

The pipe inside the room upto to the meter is steel. What do you think I should do. Shall I call a corgi registered engineer and ask him. Surely if he can do it it will be dam cheaper then BG.

Sponsored Links
Blue plastic pipe is for water!

Yellow for gas!

No CORGI is allowed to touch the gas pipe before the meter. You must call your gas supplier who will usually pass you on to Transco.

because you are a captive customer you dont get the opportunity to get alternalive quotations.

Most jobs seem to be from £400 to £1000.

Tony

Agile said:
Blue plastic pipe is for water!

Yellow for gas!

No CORGI is allowed to touch the gas pipe before the meter. You must call your gas supplier who will usually pass you on to Transco.

because you are a captive customer you dont get the opportunity to get alternalive quotations.

Most jobs seem to be from £400 to £1000.

Tony

Hi Tony

My mistake in quoting the colour of gas pipe. You are right its not blue but yellow. Bit steep for such a small job.

Tony's right if its the 'service' pipe you want moving. If its just the meter you need moving slightly you might get away with a corgi man. :D The amount of meters i've seen that have been covered over with a new kitchen because the owner wasn't prepared to pay to have it shifted to somewhere where you can even reach the ECV just in case you ever have an emergency situation where you would need to get to the ECV quickly. And then the 'joiner' has cut a hole in one cupboard so you can just touch the ECV with one hand (although you cut most of your arm trying to reach through to get at it) :rolleyes: . Some i've seen where the only thing you can see is the dials on the meter. :( No access to the ECV at all. If you can afford it, get it put outside in a meter box. :rolleyes:

Jezzy said:
Tony's right if its the 'service' pipe you want moving. If its just the meter you need moving slightly you might get away with a corgi man. :D The amount of meters i've seen that have been covered over with a new kitchen because the owner wasn't prepared to pay to have it shifted to somewhere where you can even reach the ECV just in case you ever have an emergency situation where you would need to get to the ECV quickly. And then the 'joiner' has cut a hole in one cupboard so you can just touch the ECV with one hand (although you cut most of your arm trying to reach through to get at it) :rolleyes: . Some i've seen where the only thing you can see is the dials on the meter. :( No access to the ECV at all. If you can afford it, get it put outside in a meter box. :rolleyes:

Hi "Jezzy"

Thank you and Tony for being helpful to me. The problem is guys the meter is sat on a heath Robinson bracket and its 6 feet off floor and its in my new extended dining room. It is a ugly arrangement. I had a good look at the meter again. I had at one point decided to move it to my new outer wall 3.4 meter away from exhisting location. I have changed my mind in that the meter can still go outside but move it 1.5 meter. My new walls are cavity walls so I prefer a slim box.

Another question for you guys. Since the meter will move 1.5 meter in comparison to 3.4 meter the cost shouldn't be as much or it doesn't matter BG will charge full wack. Do I have a choice. I priced the meter box £25 plus VAT at local building material supplier.

if your moving the 'service' pipe at all, its a transco job. They also make charges for the distance its being moved but i'm not sure what those charges are, ask transco.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back