new grout with uneven colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used beige coloured grout to match the light brown marble tiles. It turns out the new grout appeared with dark colour in some places. It was really disappointed. People talked about this problem a lot and gave different reasons. Obviously I cannot change them now. I would like to know what I should do with it? Do I use the white silicon sealant to recover them or to use the white grout sealer to cover them? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could try to scrape out as much of the dark patches with a grout rake and then re-grouting. The initial problem could have been that the grout was not mechanically mixed enough, its the little dark dots of dye that give it its colour so need mixing in properly. I would use the beige colour again though otherwise your in for a lot of raking out if you have done the whole room. A grout rake only retails at about a tenner

Good luck

Thank you very much. Some people had this problem and talked about the reasons on the internet. 1, The wether may be too wet or too dry. 2, some people think the percentage of water may be not right. 3, the grout powder was not mixed enough. Some people used the drill to mix it and still had this uneven colour. I did not use the drill but hand. So it could be the reason. I did not have this uneven colour when I used white grout before by using the hand to mix it. May be the white is easy to use?

You could try to scrape out as much of the dark patches with a grout rake and then re-grouting. The initial problem could have been that the grout was not mechanically mixed enough, its the little dark dots of dye that give it its colour so need mixing in properly. I would use the beige colour again though otherwise your in for a lot of raking out if you have done the whole room. A grout rake only retails at about a tenner

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back