New Highflow ?

Yes it should and in your case I would hope around 20%. I was just comparing say a 24Kw boiler to a 42Kw like for like.

Cross purposes a bit there.

Sponsored Links
I just looked on vaillants website and they say that the integrated storage of 15litre (which is the same as the highflow i have) can delivered over 200 litres of water in 10 mins. The ecoTEC plus 937 has a central-heating output of 12 to 28 kW and a DHW output of 37 kW. So would this be a better choice than the 37 or 42 CDI. the main thing i am intrested in is the reduction in consumption of gas and the ability to run two showers. we never run two baths at the same time.

cheers

sorry i worded that wrong, what i mean is that one of the deciding factors will be about reducing my bills by installing a more efficient boiler. i assume that my old highflow heatslave is extremly inefficient considering it is over 14 years old or there abouts.

Dr Tannahill wrote

but the current combi i have suits my needs and will let me run two baths at the same time

then he wrote

we never run two baths at the same time.

?? :(
Forgive me for saying so Doc but their is a slight contradiction here.

Sponsored Links
DrTannahill said:
I just looked on vaillants website and they say that the integrated storage of 15litre (which is the same as the highflow i have) can delivered over 200 litres of water in 10 mins. The ecoTEC plus 937 has a central-heating output of 12 to 28 kW and a DHW output of 37 kW. So would this be a better choice than the 37 or 42 CDI. the main thing i am intrested in is the reduction in consumption of gas and the ability to run two showers. we never run two baths at the same time.

cheers

I still think in your situation and as a Vaillant only installer so I'm biased, I would go for the 937. It is still a large chunk on the wall and will indeed need a larger gas supply to it, probably 28mm up until about the last 6m. If you ever depleted the hot water store you will still be left with a powerful combi to use. Also it can be range rated upon commissioning to match the radiator output you need exactly.

In fairness I do not know enough about the Worcesters to give a level comparison.

If the original Highflow met your requirements in terms of water delivery, why not just get another?

It will deliver nearly 20l/m for the first 200litres which is pretty good for any single box solution.

Dave is right, the ecoTEC937 will give a similar performance but has to be wall mounted.

Find the right installer and you will get a 5 yr warranty on the Highflow 440 if fitted before the 31st August, under a promotion to certain WB installers.

Your requirement for two showers will depend on the type of shower (ie: how much water they use), your i/c water flow (shound be at least 25l/m to take advantage of the Highflow's hot water delivery) and how long you expect them to run.

We have a customer who bought the 440 specifically to run two showers and he is happy with it. Mind you, it has got a 500l accumulator behind it.

It is not a contradiction i was merely stating what i wanted in my system. would you install a boiler which was not suitable for the system it was being installed into ? I have a highflow heatslave that can supply 2 bathrooms simoultainously. Although we never run two baths we run two showers and have the ability to run two baths should we wish so. Whats the point of installing a system that will ony suit 1 bathroom and a shower when we have two bathrooms ? I would like to have the ability to run two baths should i wish so. Which is why i'm looking for a storage combi boiler that will provide hot water for two baths. which is why i asked for your opinions on which one would best suit my needs.

cheers

Consider having one electric shower, and a replacement Highflow. The boiler installation will be cheaper - I imagine the pipes will be in the the same places.
And you will have a back up for when the boiler fails. You also will use less water (they're 4 litres/minute), and they don't stop your heating working while they run unlike the combi.

I don't want another floor standing boiler as i feel it takes up too much space and have been told that they are more difficult to work on than wall mounted ones. The boiler is in a cupboard and i would like to have the floor space back to put stuff in. Thats whats putting me off the highflow. so i am left with a choice of either the vaillant or one of the worcester CDI's. But am put off the 37 CDI and 42 CDI because it has no hot water storage and may end up costing me more money in fuel bills. so i think the vaillant seems the best option? what do you all think ? also the bathrooms have recently been renovated. the downstairs one only has a tap type shower with the detatchable head from the tap, the one upstairs is thermostatic. i really don't want to fit an electric shower because of the poor pressure compaired to the dhw fed ones

Cheers

If you are sure you want a storage combi then the Vaillant it is ;)

jut to make sure before i part with any cash, vaillant are a good reliable make, am i right ? i just want to make sure. also i don't have any option but to buy a storage combi. unless it really would be much better for me to get an un-vented system installed then i would make room for it but i am also on a budget and would need to be able to buy a boiler and cylinder for £1400, which just ain't gonna happen. so looks like my best option with regards to cost and efficiency is the vaillant.

Thanks for everybodys help
Cheers

If you are a working doctor then the costs involved are irrelevant!

The gas saving between your existing boiler and a new one will not be massive perhaps 15-20% at most.

85% of your gas usage will be for heating. Improve insulation to reduce gas bills. Have you at least 300 of loft insulation?

A cylinder and boiler will be a far better system.

You would usually be able to fit a 210 li cylinder with a 24 kW boiler on the wall above it in a 700 x 700 footprint.

Tony

Dan_Robinson said:
24kW? Yipes! 18 surely?
And balls to heatloss calcs before anyone starts!!!

I would agree dan but his CORGI plumber has told him his radiator output is rated at 24 kW so I have promulgated that figure although I doubt its needed.

Tony

It can be promulgated all the OP's man likes. Calculations are not worth squat unless the property is of unusual shape/construct/purpose/locale.

As I have said on other forums, most heatloss calcs grossly oversize the boiler requirement for a property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back