new hob blowing 45amp fuse,gashed finger,hit head help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have been fitting my own kitchen to save cash all well until i fitted a new ceramic hob today.a diplomat hygena,i connected the live neutral and earth cables and inside were two solid connectors between the other two live terminals which i left in.on switching the supply back on the 45amp fuse immediately blew.i then gashed my finger on the sharp side of the hob and banged my head on the extractor,now i know electricians earn every penny of their money.!!can anyone give any advice as to the electrical problem?should i have removed the solid connectors?any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
i connected the live neutral and earth cables
To the correct terminals?

Was the cable already there, or is it new?

and inside were two solid connectors between the other two live terminals which i left in
They may be for environments where a 3-phase supply is needed for high current appliances. What do the installation instructions say?

can anyone give any advice as to the electrical problem?
crystal_ball.jpg

should i have removed the solid connectors?
Dunno.

Probably not.

What do the installation instructions say?

was an existing wire from previous hob.i assume the connections i made were correct red to live black to neutral green/yellow earth,instructions gave no hint to the connections but sticker on back of hob had 4 diagrams.1 230v one 230vn one 400v etc i followed the 230v connection.3 connectors in the hob connection block were marked l one n and a seperate earth terminal.have connected electric cookers before with no problems.

Usual configuration is 5 terminals. 3 are linked to line, next 2 are linked to neutral. Connect CPC to earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
just checked hob is rated at 6.2 kw surely this wouldnt have blown fuse?could hob be faulty?

what should i do next ?get a bag full of 45amp fuses and try different wiring combos !!!!

if you feel like it, post a pic of the connection block in the cooker and in the wall, showing the coloured cores and the terminals; and also a scan of the page in the instruction book that tells you how to connect it.

not being cheep my partner has had two miscarriages in the last 6 months i am self employed so have lost lots of money having time off.doing the kitchen to cheer her up.will post pics of blocks etc tomorrow john so would be very grateful if you could have a look many thanks

all sorted now replaced blown fuse and everything operating perfectly?????!!!!have tried all rings on full etc no problems,wonder if the fuse was really old and just blew when switching power back on1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back