New Horstmann 2 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a Horstmann Zoneplus F222m / F222i 2 port valve on a new radiator controlled by a programmable digital room stat.

When the stat is calling for heat you can hear the valve move, and then move again when it switches off again. The rad is filled and bled OK, but there is no water circulating through this part of the system when the boiler's on.

Removing the motor head allows me to turn the valve with my fingers (quite easily) as though there's no real resistance in it. Is the correct? Even when moving this, the pipes don't get warm.

Wired as blue neutral, brown SL from stat, grey perm live, orange not connected.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I would consider the actuator the electrical part (motor) that can be detached and the valve the brass part that is left behind when the actuator is removed that is connected to the pipe work.

Sponsored Links
KevPlumb - Best way to remove an airlock? This valve has been installed under a ground floor, lower than the bottom of all the ground floor rads (inc the new one)

KevPlumb - Unfortunately it wasn't on manual - but it would have been open as the room stat was calling for heat at the time.

Have you tried turning on the rest of the system at the same time as the problematic part?
The orange wire is normally connected to 'switched live to boiler' or 'live to boiler and pump'.

OK folks. Drained system and re-filled - the new rad now gets warm. Obviosuly an air lock.

On a related issue - how much does a MV restrict water flow? The rad isn't getting hot very quickly so it looks as though I'll have to wind all the other lockshields in a half turn or so. Would this be expected? The MV has been taken from a capped off pipe from where an old rad used to be connected which didn't experience this problem.

Wired as blue neutral, brown SL from stat, grey perm live, orange not connected.
So it is purely acting as a valve to control flow through the radiator and is reliant upon some other control to turn the boiler on and off? If so, you do not need the grey or orange connected. But what happens if the other control has turned the boiler off and the radiator controlled by this valve is not up to temperature?

D Hailsham - That's fine. I am using it as you describe, but aren't worried about the area not getting up to temperature if the rest of the system is turned off.

The new rad's in a conservatory, that will primarily be used as a play room, but only three days a week when the lad's not at nursery. The MV is purely to stop water circulating in there on days it's not needed, in a bid to save money long term, by not heating a room we don't need.

Makes sense???

PS Didn't realize the grey wasn't needed, but thinking about it now, it makes sense, as that's only required coming up the grey, so it can send out down the orange in those circumstances when the MV's used "correctly"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back