new installation or addition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if power to a shed is taken off a fused spur from a socket in a conservatory,
to a cu in the shed,is this an addition to a circuit or a new circuit.
and which paperwork would a spark issue,
just a query from reading threads,

Sponsored Links
Why would you supply a CU from a fused spur?

If you've got an electrician proposing to do that, then find another one, because he's got more spurs than just that fused one....

Outside circuits are notifiable under Part P. See page 8 the additional notes section item f. It is well worth all diyers downloading a copy to become aware of what is and isn't notifiable. Google it and I'm sure you can get a copy off a site. Bottom line is BAS is right, the job needs to be done right.

Sponsored Links
I AM NOT HAVING THIS WORK DONE.
it was just a query,wondering if it would be new installation or addition.
so if it was too difficult to get back to the house cu.is there no other way to do this,

it's hard work getting a simple answer,
i have said in previous posts that electrics have always interested me,i thought i had seen in a forum that you could connect into a a spur,{which it seems i am mistaken}so it made me think,would it be a new installation,as it would be going to a shed cu,or would it be an addition,as it is added to the ring of the house,then that led to which certificate would it be,
that simple.so if you can't get to the house cu,or impractical cost wise,what other way would there be of doing it.
i have already got power to my shed,again it is just a simple query.

it's hard work getting a simple answer,
The problem is that your question seems pointless, and a bit bizarre.

And it's not unknown for pointless and bizarre questions to be based on some incomplete or flawed understanding of something that the questioner intends to do but won't admit to intending to do.

i thought i had seen in a forum that you could connect into a a spur,{which it seems i am mistaken}
You can supply an outbuilding with a spur, subject to the usual RCD and PME earth export considerations.

It is utterly pointless to take that spur cable into a CU in the outbuilding.

so it made me think,would it be a new installation,as it would be going to a shed cu,or would it be an addition,as it is added to the ring of the house,then that led to which certificate would it be,
EIC.

that simple.so if you can't get to the house cu,or impractical cost wise,what other way would there be of doing it.
No other cost effective way - you are stuck with a 13A supply to the outbuilding. But I fail to see how the type of certificate that an electrician would issue when installing a spur to a shed has anything to do with alternatives to a spur for getting the power there.

You surely don't expect design decisions to be made on the basis of what type of certificate needs to be issued?

i have already got power to my shed,again it is just a simple query.
What certificate did the electrician who installed it give you?

the electrics were already in the shed when i moved in. there is no ulterior motive other than curiosity.
when you quoted "usual RCD and PME earth export considerations" because i don't fully understand,i now need to find out what it does mean,

you say that a shed can be supplied from a fcu? so would a cu not be needed

the reason for the certification question, you stated "design decisions to be made on the basis of what type of certificate" i was looking at it from the other direction,if the shed circuit was fed as an addition to an existing ring, is'nt that a minor works, but that dos'nt seem right,so i was asking you as professionals,which would it be,
simple. to me anyway.
thanks for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back