Ring or Radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could anyone help with a query that i have.

I have a new conservatory where unfortunately I cannot spur off existing sockets to extend a ring so therefore i need to come off my consumer unit and run in conduit on the outside wall around to the back for a new circuit.

Now my issue is ring main or radial

Within the conservatory there will be 4 double plug sockets and two fused spurs, my electrician advised me to bring the single 2.5mm cable into the conservatory and to the first spur then to the first plug socket then next then next etc etc until finishing at the last spur and that he will fit a 20amp fuse to protect this.

My query is would it actually be easier and better (seeing as i have rcd breakers in my consumer unit of 32's) that i actually install a ring main and then spur the fuses off but go back to the consumer unit off the last double plug socket.

Any advice on the best way appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ok perhaps its my description that is causing people ot not reply

Perhaps the below diagram will explain my situation or query

Example.jpg

It will be as above using a 2.5mm cable and as suggested by the electrician a 20amp fuse in teh consumer unit

Simple answer is that wired up correctly and is everything ok with it eg cable size and amp etc ?

I think the outside wiring is more likely to give you problems. The bit you've drawn seems straightforward, but skips over how far away the pond and security light are, and how you're going to get to them.

What did your electrician say about that?

Sponsored Links
I think the outside wiring is more likely to give you problems. The bit you've drawn seems straightforward, but skips over how far away the pond and security light are, and how you're going to get to them.

What did your electrician say about that?

Concerning the security light, he stated a normal flex connection off the first switched socket on the diagram with the flex running about 4m max

The pond electrics are probably about 10m away and will be connected useing an armoured cable to the final switch connection on the diagram.

Concerning accesibility it will be by a direct drill through the wall at the point of connection (the switched socket)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back