New Kitchen...Asbestos Risks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

I have recently purchased a house which was built in 1970. I intend on replacing the kitchen in the coming months but wanted to check where I might find asbestos products/materials in the kitchen.

I will need to remove the old kitchen but before I do this, I want to ensure that I don't come into contact/disturb any asbestos materials as I'm worried that there may be things lurking behind the cupboards.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Very rare indeed, I'd say.....maybe some minimal content if the ceiling is Artex, but not behind kitchen base units or whatever.
John :)

I concur.

The usual places for asbestos are in Artex coatings, possibly in the boiler cupboard or around fireplaces, pipes etc, as heatproofing or insulation, elderly pre-fab detached garages, possibly floor and ceiling tiles and roofing, in houses built prior to 1980.

See this guide, the crux of which is "IF ASBESTOS IS IN GOOD CONDITION< LEAVE IT BE!":

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/Safety-Guides/Home/Asbestos-In-The-Home/

Possibly some in an old cooker if you're pulling that apart as well.

See this guide, the crux of which is "IF ASBESTOS IS IN GOOD CONDITION< LEAVE IT BE!":/
Indeed. Some people seem to have been given the idea that every last scrap of it should be removed at all costs (and if you follow all the official guidance about removal and disposal, that cost could be extremely high). Doing so is often likely to result in far more exposure to the dust than just leaving it in place and enclosing it. Don't forget that there are different types of asbestos too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I do know that the floor tiles are vinyl/asbestos so would a mainstream kitchen fitter refuse to remove/fit a kitchen if this was present? I have chosen a kitchen and have a survey next week.

I had asbestos artex in my house and removed it with x-tex and a steamer. Was a pig of a job but got it all off. Took me I think a few days to do the two bedroom areas where it was. Bagged it all up, took it to the local skip and ****ed it in with general waste.With regard to kitchens it's all self contained, asbestos was used primarily for insulation and fire proofing back in the day. Think about that and why you would find that in kitchen units? You obviously wouldn't. On the subject of kitchens though I'd post a picture up of the kitchen on gumtree advertising it as fire wood. Someone with a log burner might give you a ring, save you driving it down the local tip. Just about anything burns except the countertops. A mate of mine says they are **** for burning up, something to do with the laminate.

Artex, floor tiles (and the bitumen beneath), and the bitumen sink / drainer pads (black pads stuck to the underside of each) are the usual suspects.

Then, we get onto stuff like asbestos cement shuttering (lining vents to outside), and perhaps cavity closers beneath sills (or is it "cills"? I might as well flip a coin!)

If you are unlucky, you might find asbestos insulating board (veeeery nasty :cry:) as boxing, around pipework (often in a corner on the external wall; about 8" square). Or more rarely, as a fireproof "fillet strip" on either side of the hob, protecting the worktops.
Or, asbestos (cement, or insulating board) under the wall cupboards, forming a heatproof pad (to stop you putting something hot on the worktop, and scorching the cupboard above).

This brief description should cover most common uses, but never say never!

If in doubt, post piccies!

Thanks for your replies...

Brigadier...I have a box in the corner of my kitchen which covers two external walls. This area is just under 9" squared and is covered with tiles. When I knock on these tiles, I can tell it is hollow. I've looked under the worktops and can see the boxed section runs all the way to the floor. It's so dark down there I had to use a mag light. The boxed area appears to be covered with a light grey plastic/metal covering but I couldn't access it if I tried.

Back above the worktop, the boxed section with tiles covering it has a trim (where the edges of the tiles meet) I used a flat head screwdriver to gently prise this as it was quite loose but can't see enough without doing damage to whatever is underneath the tiles so I left it well alone. The tiles and trim are still very much in place. Would I have potentially exposed myself to anything by doing this?

I think this could well be the insulating board. I'm begging to regret buying this house :(

Just to think...some people rip this stuff out without a second's thought.

Last edited:
The box section is probably covering the soil pipework, or H&C supplies. Proceed slowly and carefully but the chances are that it will be plasterboard. When you can get a clear look at it post back a couple of photos.

Don't forget one of these mate

Asbestos-protection.jpg

Well, I'm not going near the area. I'd rather pay 2k than do it myself and risk anything. I'm more worried about doing something and contaminating my house...something I don't want in a million years. I don't know how the surveyor is going to be able to make a call as to whether it is asbestos or not but even if I call in a licensed contractor, they would have to pull the tiles away to get to the material in order to take a sample :(

If it is an ex-council property you could contact them and ask if they have the original buildings specs for the property.
These should, (if completed correctly), state exactly what materials were specified in the construction. You could then decide what course of action is needed from there. If asbestos is mentioned then I would contact the Environmental Health Dept and ask if an asbestos surveyor could visit to inspect and advise on any necessary course of action required.

Its no use worrying yourself sick until you know the facts.

Well, the surveyor has just left and has given the kitchen the go ahead.

He wasn't at all concerned about the floor tiles and advised me that the boxed section in the corner of the kitchen would be 'plywood or plasterboard'. My kitchen definitely isn't the original kitchen and he has also advised me that the boxed section in the corner can be worked around. The tiles will need to come off but apart from that it's all been given the go ahead.

Now, I know the surveyor does what he does and knows a lot more about kitchens than I do, why do I still not feel completely convinced that there is nothing to worry about here?

I don't know whether I am being over cautious and worrying too much - and I think that over thinking all of this has now lead me to not knowing what is the right or wrong thing to do :S

Who was the surveyor? If they can't tell you definitively what the boxwork is, they are obviously guessing.
"Plasterboard, or plywood". FFS - if I told you that your drink was "tea, or coffee", how much faith would you put in my opinion?

You might well have nothing to worry about. But you are clearly worrying because, currently, it is the uncertainty that is causing you grief.

Get someone in who knows what they are doing, and get them to put your mind at rest. It'll be worth the few tenners.
Where are you, geographically?

Sponsored Links
Back