New Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boys Out Of School Club room has just had a new (domestic-style) kitchen fitted.

Interesting to note that there are standard switches within 300mm of the sink and hob units and surface-mounted sockets within the base units.

Sponsored Links
What's the problem with that? It's not unacceptable to put sockets in cupboards nor is there a set distance to have a socket or switch from a sink or hob. It's unacceptable to have them directly above such items but 300mm is a good distance IMO especially considering the size of some kitchens these days. If we had to ensure you couldn't reach a socket whilst at the sink some kitchens wouldn't even have sockets.

yeehah.jpg

:?: :?:

300mm is a good distance
within 300mm

I am referring to the IEE electrician's guide to the BR where it is advised 300mm is the minimum distance & that socket outlets etc should not be mounted in kitchen units.

The suggestion is that units are a no-no for mounting accessories for 2 reasons:

1. Not easy to access

2. Possible danger from water leak

3. Accessories to be fixed to fabric of building

The debate is whether fixed cabinets are the fabric of the building or not.

EDIT: forgot number 3...

Sponsored Links
Apologies, must read post properly next time. 300mm a bit close for comfort definitely.

kitchen units if secured to the fabric are classed as fabric, if a leak damages a kitchen unit and floor vinyl you claim your buildings insurance for the unit and contents insurance for vinyl,

Surely there is no damage from a water leak if they are not in the cupboard under the sink.

I find the debate about weather to fix sockets in cupboards or not bemusing. Its easier to isolate an appliance if is plugged in a cupboard than pull the whole thing out to get to a socket behind it. And who wants a separate SWFSP for every appliance above worktop height.

The regs do :rolleyes:

You don't have to have a seperate FCU for each appliance. Many people use a grid switch to keep things neat.

But then thats not the point being argued here anyway.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with fixing socket outlets to kitchen base units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back