New lawnmower !!

Sponsored Links
hello! Patience is a virtue!

Depends on the size of lawn youve got and the sort of finish you want as well (and your budget!)

Id go for a honda over a mountfield any day, much better build quality but a mountfield over most of the own brand rubbish thats churned out in the diy sheds

Have a good look on the internet as theres some very good deals out there, quite often with some extras

Thermo said:
hello! Patience is a virtue!

Depends on the size of lawn youve got and the sort of finish you want as well (and your budget!)

Id go for a honda over a mountfield any day, much better build quality but a mountfield over most of the own brand rubbish thats churned out in the diy sheds

Have a good look on the internet as theres some very good deals out there, quite often with some extras[/quote

Cheers Thermo; As it happens i am in negotiations for the above Honda model, at least the deck won't rust, have had the mountfield for 20yrs approx, hence my favourtism !!! :)

-

Sponsored Links
Any advice on an electric mower? Mine has just died and I'm not that keen on petrol ones.

Hi,

Wolf do very good electric mowers. Not cheap but they do last and perform well.

If it's just the deck, why not see if you can replace that instead, if the engine's sound, then it's an easy swap. Perhaps try ebay for a clapped out mountfield with a good body. I know, I'm a cheapskate!

My dad keeps wondering why he had to get a new mower every year. He doesn't get that he's supposed to clean it after he's used it . . . . :evil: i refuse to mow the lawn, cos the mower is always bunged up with old stale grass.

Out of interest, he did have a qualcast rotary mower for years (the old one, single handle like a vacuum cleaner). When that finally packed in, he got a B&D hover, but it wouldn't hover very well (think its because of the shape of the lawn and its not very even. my grandad has a flymo hover and his works like a dream). The hover got bunged up and stopped hovering . . . so he got a new qualcast rotary in 2004! and that looks on its last legs now! :evil:

Some people never learn . . .

I purchased a Mountfield sp470 from B&Q a few years back. Worst buy ever. It vibrates like hell despite changing the blade a couple of times. The plastic protective cover as shaken itself loose and broken. The nuts that hold the handle on keep working loose and disappearing into the lawn. It burns copious amounts of oil and the controls keep slipping down the handle. Are the B&Q Mountfields seconds? because for what I paid I wouldn't call them quality. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back