new light and switch to old wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The task involves connecting a new light may be two into an existing lighting circuit which is the old red & black wiring system that appears to have common power single feed (Black cable) and Neutral feeds (grey cable).

I would estimate the cabling in the house is 30 to 40 years old. There are common earth cables running around the house also.

Looking at the existing kitchen switch there are one common power in with two neutral out on the other side of the switch.

Under the upstairs landing floor I have located a common live (Black) which feeds an adj light fitting also a common neutral (grey).

With out cutting through these cables I have exposed the cores and fitted a junction box to feed the new light fitting via a switch feed.

When the existing adj lights are off the new light fitting / light works perfectly. When the adj light fitting is switched on the new light dims and only glows low level. Any Ideas what I've done wrong??

Sponsored Links
You dont understand how electricity works, that was the first mistake, the second mistake was that you thought you would have a go anyway, ultimatly what this means is that you have connected two lights in series.

There is a wiki and some sticky posts at the top of the forum which you should get stuck into and see if you can work out what you did wrong, then you will understand how to rectify it properly.

Those 'neutrals' connected to the switch terminals won't be neutrals (for a start)

Those 'neutrals' connected to the switch terminals won't be neutrals (for a start)

So any ideas, They are not earths and they are not live only when the light in the adj room is switched on do they become live and complete a circuit which I have now position a junction box into to feed the new light.

What have i done wrong??

Dave J

Sponsored Links

So any ideas, They are not earths and they are not live only when the light in the adj room is switched on do they become live and complete a circuit which I have now position a junction box into to feed the new light.

What have i done wrong??

Dave J

You've already been told what you've done wrong, but you don't seem to have the basic level of knowledge necessary to understand it. You shouldn't be doing this work, it's not safe for you, get someone in.

What have i done wrong??

Dave J

You've already been told what you've done wrong, but you don't seem to have the basic level of knowledge necessary to understand it. You shouldn't be doing this work, it's not safe for you, get someone in.

Fine thanks for the calification

The thing is, David, you really are so lacking in basic knowledge and understanding of electrical circuits that it isn't safe for you to be doing any electrical work.

It is all a complete mystery to you. For example

Looking at the existing kitchen switch there are one common power in with two neutral out on the other side of the switch.
How on earth can a switch turn a live into a neutral?

It would not be right for people to try and get you to follow instructions along the lines of "insert this wire into that terminal" without you having the faintest idea why, or what's going on.

To be safe to do electrical work you must genuinely understand what you're doing. Please take some time out to acquire that understanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back