new light in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WE had our bathroom light changed by an electrician ,from an ordinary bayonet fitting to a modern spot .But it does'nt give enough light. I want to change this now to a fitting that gives us more light , the problem is there is only a live and neuteral going in to the new spot light and the replacement fitting ive bought requires an earth. How do i go about connecting a earth wire.???????

Sponsored Links
rembrant said:
WE had our bathroom light changed by an electrician ,from an ordinary bayonet fitting to a modern spot .But it does'nt give enough light. I want to change this now to a fitting that gives us more light , the problem is there is only a live and neuteral going in to the new spot light and the replacement fitting ive bought requires an earth. How do i go about connecting a earth wire.???????

does any of the other lights have an earth? if not it might be time for a re-wire

Yes other lights in house are earthed.The original bathroom fitting was earthed ,but the new one isn't.

rembrant said:
Yes other lights in house are earthed.The original bathroom fitting was earthed ,but the new one isn't.

so where did the earth go if it was originally there?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's a mains spotlight and not a low voltage one? If it is mains you can see if there is surplus cable that can be pulled through and stripped back to get at the earth wire.

The electrician has fitted a junction box in loft above bathroom and live and neutral come out to new spot in bathroom ,shall i run a new earth in to this junction box???? Reply please...

If the new fitting has leads already attached and they will reach the junction box you could connect them directly. Otherwise you will need to run a new length of twin & earth cable from the junction box to the terminals / terminal block of the fitting. You then need to check voltages between live & earth, live & neutral and neutral and earth at the light. If you are not happy about doing this last bit, get an electrician to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back