New lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all - first post here so please be gentle.

Quick question regarding fuses and a new lighting circuit.

The house I've just bought has only one existing lighting circuit fused with 5 amp fuse in the consumer box. This circuit serves downstairs, upstairs and attic room, some 13 lights in all. I want to add a couple of new lights in the loft spaces and replace two lights (attic room and bathroom) with low voltage inset lights. The fuse holder shows signs of having blown in the past - no surprise really, but I reckon the new lights will overload an already stressed circuit.

Question is: I have two redundant fuses in the box - one rated 15 amp for the old immersion heater - gone long ago - and another rated 30 amp for a soon to disappear shower. Can I use either of these to add a new lighting circuit for the loft and bathroom? If so do I change the fuse to 5 amp or leave as is? And if I want to use one of the fuses for an additional ring main should I use the 30 amp?

Thanks in advance and 'scuse my ignorance.

Mark

Sponsored Links
First, is your CU a wylex standard board?, if so replacement parts will be readily available, of its anything else.... :(

You'd want to change the 15A fuse way down to 5A/6A but I'd recommend instead of using a new re-wirable fuse, that you use an MCB instead: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Wylex_Standard_Range/index.html (the link is for MCBs for wylex standard boards)

for the ring main, yes 30A/32A is the right rating, but again I'd recommend a MCB, and if the ring might be used to power portable appliances outside (its a judgement call I'm afraid) then you'll need RCD protection, might be better in the long run to have your CU replaced.

Also, new circuits are notifiable to LABC :(

Adam_151 said:
First, is your CU a wylex standard board?, if so replacement parts will be readily available, of its anything else.... :(

Pretty certain it is - I'll check this weekend

:D Thanks for the advice - all seems pretty straight forward.

Cheers

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back