New lights in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife wants new spot lights fitted in the kitchen ceiling,the main problem is the ceiling is the old lath plater,so I was wondering if I'm better off putting up a false ceiling to save on the mess from the original ceiling,if you think this is the right thing to do how much of a gap should I leave between the 2 ceiling ?

Sponsored Links
You are better to rip out the lath&plaster and put up new plasterboard ceiling.

The laths you have will be very old, very dry and will catch fire very easily.

Unless you are planning to use a low energy (ie low heat) light source eg CFL or LED downlights.

If you must batten it out then you need to consult the information given by the downlight manufacturer. Around 150mm would be typical. So thats 6inches of lost ceiling height and, of course, downlights are especially bad at lighting up work areas.

Thanks for the quick reply, might have to take ceiling down as would only have about 4 to 5 inches otherwise because of window in the kitchen

Normally you would require about 125mm-150m void for downlights, cannot give you an exact measurements as the units are not all the same and tned to differ between brand/model/types.
There are low profile ones that can fit in 50mm space but they then take up the space horizontally by design.

Removing a lath and plaster ceiling is more fun than Christmas, good luck with that! You will need to remove everything from the room, sheet any areas that dust can get to, you will require any number of rubble bags and a skip.
Plus the PPE, boots, goggles, gloves, dust mask etc...
And a powerful shower!

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late response but had the electrician round and he thinks he may be able to fit them into existing ceiling so hopefully that's good news [/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back