New loft hatch near joist overlap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to put a new loft hatch in so that it makes getting things in and out of the loft easier, when we eventually use it as storage (Christmas decs, suitcases, etc...)

My only worry is, where the loft hatch currently is (and needs to stay due to other limitations around the house) it's very close to where the ceiling joists overlap and are supported by a central binder, which spans the length of the house. I've attached some drawings to give you an idea, these are not entirely too scale, but is close enough.

This is the current loft hatch, it is 554 x 536 and is 650ish millimeters away from the end of the overlapping timber.
Current.jpg

This is my proposed new hatch, it's a 1150 x 675mm opening but as you can see from the drawings, only leaves 50ish mill between the horizontal support and the ends of the overlapping joists.
1716221907819.png

Does anyone see a problem with this? It's only affecting the middle joist as the 2 either side will not need to be cut.
For reference, this is the loft hatch I'm looking at installing:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does anyone see a problem with this? It's only affecting the middle joist as the 2 either side will not need to be cut.
For reference, this is the loft hatch I'm looking at installing:

I would be inclined to sister up the two joists either side, and possibly the short ones at either end. Drilled and through bolted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back