New loo seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Not really a plumbing question but is related to the bathroom!! I would like to get a new wooden seat for the loo - currently we have a horrific white plastic thing. We got a lovely wooden one from B&Q, I fitted it and thought fantastic - new loo seat.

Left it for my boyfriend’s perusal, he complained that although the lid goes back and stays up, the seat bit does not stay in the upright position! Looks like the angle is not great enough for it to be up.

Obviously for us girls this is not a problem, but for guys it is, as you have to p one handed - while holding up the seat so as it doesn't fall on your bits!! Apparently this is not a good idea - the seat holding bit - sometimes the idea of it falling on his bits is a good idea!!

Anyway we have tried various wooden seats from different suppliers and none of them enable us to have the seat up.

Any suggestions? The loo was part of a bathroom set from Homebase - and no their seats don't fit!! I really want to get rid of the plastic loo. Hmm thought, I could get rid of the boyfriend then there would be no problem!! But as this is not an option I'd be glad if anyone else has had this problem and managed to find a loo seat that fits.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Visions of falling loo seats :LOL: :LOL:

It sounds as though the bowl needs to be brought forward a bit unless this is a Homebase design feature. Otherwise you could use blu-tack??

BANG -- OUCH. :LOL: :LOL:

The bowl and the cistern are all one peice so this is not an option, appears that blue tak might be called for!!!

Sponsored Links
Try moving the seat itself to its foremost position before tightening it up - there's usually a bit of play in them. Otherwise reinstall the toilet correctly, assuming your floor is sufficiently level. Blue tack and velcro is fine for him, but you dont really want to have to sit on it do you?

Thanks for all your suggestions - velcro included!! Have tried the moving the seat to bring it as far forward as possible. As I said before, moving the bowl of th toilet is not an option as the cistern and toilet bowl are all one piece. There just doesn't seem to be enough angle for the seat to go back far enough! Will continue my search for a wooden loo seat that is as slim as the plastic rubbish.

Presumably the loo seat is being held off by the lid? In the extreme you could resort to the electric planer and sander and take 1/2" off the toilet lid which might give you sufficient angle on the seat when upright - if you follow my drift.

You'd end up with the world's thinnest and most unique lid. Don't sit on it as you'd probably go through!! As far as thin wooden seats are concerned I don't think you'll get one as they won't take the weight.

i had similar problem - then figured out that the metal hinges on those wooden loo seats can normally be rotated - freeing up more angle for the seat to sit up. fixed my problem.

Steino has a good point - try swapping the hinges around, it's a mistake I've made in the past - the instructions are not always too clear. The seats you've mentioned are after all bog standard (pun unintentional!) and should stay up if correctly installed.

Hello

After all the hinge suggestions I am going to try that - nit sure if my DIY is up to sanding the lid down!!

Thanks again for all your replies - here's hoping I can finally get rid of the white plastic one!!

I reckon it's all a conspiracy. The toilet seat companies are all run by women.

Thing is, it is probably you would suffer most as unless your boyfriend is 3 foot 6 it is unlikely a falling loo seat will pose any danger. However, I have been caught unawares by such a toilet seat in the past where it falls down, crossing the stream and ends up getting wet.

The hinge rotation idea is where you need to focus. If that still doesn't work then look out for thinner toilet seats. Wooden ones, whilst lovely and comfy on the behind, are somewhat thicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back