New mains or not

For sure, excellent figures, pressure will even need to be reduced to 3 bar to feed the cylinder, flow is more than enough.

Sponsored Links
So, small update.
Had a heating engineer round. He's quoted for a Gledhill unvented cylinder, 180L and a Worcester Greenstar 24i System Boiler.
His quote came in at £4300. Got him round again the other day, as he'd forgotten the rads! We only need 4 rads (hallway and each bedroom) but he's quoting an extra £1000 for this!

Does this seem reasonable? I accept there will be a bit of pipework as the existing rads are old and we're going from Imperial to metric, but having looked at the cost of rads and TRVs, he's potentially charging £150 per rad.

If you get a gold tier Worcester Bosch installer, fit a 24i with a dirt filter you will get an 8yr warranty. If you fit a Worcester UV cylinder you will have an all Worcester system.

Regarding the costings, without seeing the job, it is impossible to say*. Which is why your installer bothered to come round and look in the first place.

I spend a good proportion of my working life travelling to remote places quoting for new boiler systems; believe me, if I could find a way of doing it with any accuracy at all from here, that's what I would do. I could then earn more on actual billable (sic) jobs that will help pay my mortgage.

*There is one regular participant of this forum who will tell you exactly how much he would charge for your job.:unsure:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Honestly, I don't have a question on the initial quote, and am quite happy to pay. I appreciate the time and effort taken to visit me and scope everything out. My main point of contention, and thus the result of my question was the additional £1000 to supply and install the 4 rads. Alas I'm ignorant in such matters, but wonder how it can cost so much.

All rads are in the same location, similar size to existing, just new instead of the old imperial ones I currently have.

Sponsored Links
That does seem expensive given what you've outlined.
I'd also ask why the 24kW boiler has been specified.
I would have thought something in the region of 15kW would have been more appropriate, but then I've not been on site and it may well be ideally suited.

In total, we'll eventually have at least 8 radiators over 3 floors. Loft is being done in a few months time.
2 bathrooms, plus a downstairs loo + Kitchen and utility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back