New Mayor cuts the pink pound

Sponsored Links
I love gays, me. But I can only see 3 ways of celebrating gay culture:

1) Look at all the amazing things people have done BECAUSE they are gay ("Being gay makes us better than straight people!")
2) Look at all the amazing things people have done DESPITE being gay (offensive to gay people)
3) This is what gay people do. Try it once, you might like it. (plainly absurd)

If I go to an Indian culture event, I expect to eat some samosas and see some traditional Indian dancing. So I was wondering what does one have at a gay pride event?

Lots of people dancing around reinforcing a stereotype that gay men like to dress flamboyantly and prance about?

A PowerPoint presentation about Jimmy Somerville, Boy George and Noel Coward?

Back-to-back showings of "Brokeback Mountain", "The Crying Game" and "Titanic"?

Is this someone in Authority with a bit of common sense at last?
Lets hope its the thin end of the wedge!

Nothing against gays or immigrants etc but if you live here you should follow our rules and not expect the ordinary man in the street to pay for your 'differences'.
If I moved to France/Germany/Poland it should be up to me to learn their language/customs at my own expense and not get money to advertise what I do in private.

if they want a parade, fine, but why should everyone else fund it?

pay a fiver a piece and you can have your parade...

they say that they bring in 5000 tourists every year.. yeah and so?
you'd bring in the tourists just the same if you funded your own event.. and it wouldn't cost the taxpayer anything..

those tourists do nothing for the local tax coffers, quite the opposite in fact as they have to provide increased policing, increased cleaning etc to offset the increased number of people..

Sponsored Links
In the same arguament, why then should they put money towards any local event? Maybe pro rata would be fair.

I'm pretty sure it isn't only gays which will benefit from the parade, local businesses will could be quids in.

In the same arguament, why then should they put money towards any local event?

A good point, but think about participation and inclusiveness.

When I go to Notting Hill Carnival I eat jerk chicken and do some skanking. When I go to Southall for Divali I eat samosas and watch some bhangra dancers. At French celebrations I drink French wine and speak French a bit...

What could I (a heterosexual male) do at a gay pride event, that is uniquely gay, without being gay? :confused: Can I eat gay food? Can I do a gay dance? Can I speak in a gay fashion? Surely attempting any of these would be taking the mick out of the very community I was there to support!!! :LOL:

I probably wouldn't be bothered about going to a gay pride event, however if you want to go then feel free to do any of those you like. If you get beaten up then you'll be glad of the police presence at taxpayers expense :LOL:

I probably wouldn't go to Notting Hill Carnival either but it doesn't bother me that taxpayers money is spent policing it.

if you live here you should follow our rules and not expect the ordinary man in the street to pay for your 'differences'.
If I moved to France/Germany/Poland it should be up to me to learn their language/customs at my own expense and not get money to advertise what I do in private.

Too right! Flippin gays everywhere. We should send them back to their own country.

If you get beaten up then you'll be glad of the police presence at taxpayers expense :LOL:

Are gay pride events hotspots for violence? I don't really associate homosexuals with punch-ups... far more interesting things to do with one's fists... :oops: :eek: :eek:

Seriously though, what is there to do at a gay pride event for non-gayists? The only inarguably gay thing I can think of is for a man to do the squelchy with another man. Ignoring sexual preference for a moment, it's simply not legal to do gay things in the public gaze. Unless you declare a particular song or dance move is "gays only". Which, as an equalist I find an offensive notion.

However, I can enjoy Caribbean and Indian culture without needing to be a Caribbean or Indian. No-one ever got arrested for eating jerk chicken or watching bhangra dancers.

I really am just interested! :D

I wonder why there are never Straight Boringly Normal Pride events?

It passes me by as to just why one might prefer the company of some hairy-ar*ed mincer and the prospect of nut-banging, considering the prevalence of laydees and their multiple orifices ;); however, since seeing the Ladyboys of Bangkok last week, I just might have been turned :LOL: :LOL:

Donkmeister said:
Seriously though, what is there to do at a gay pride event for non-gayists?

You could learn a few things. We heteros can use most, if not all, of the sexual techniques that homosexuals need to get around their lack of anatomical fit. :D :D :D

I thought it was just a saying :LOL:

Pink%20Pound%20big.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back