New Oil Fired Boiler - Condensing or Non Condensing

simond said:
Made of stainless AND aluminium??? Interesting as these two metals are known for being quite distant in the galvanic series.

Thats why Mr Kidd and Barnnt Mills design boilers and you just fit 'em.

Installing a boiler is only connecting a couple of water pipes, an oil pipe, flue, a mains supply, a control signal, and a condensate drain, why is this such a big deal?

You said it, but don't run yourself down too much.

And I note that you can't provide any useful information,....... again.

Sponsored Links
A good quality evacuated tube panel will set you back around £400 each. To make the most out of the solar gain you will need at least one panel per person. Usually 3 panels would increase the solar fraction. Don't forget the special pipe and fittings to connect the panels to the pumpimg unit etc. A 3 panel kit is around £2500. You can't use soldered fittings and pipe work on solar.

Thanks for the additional info. Can you recommend a "good quality" panel, as there are a lot out there.

I wasn't aware you couldn't use solder connections - like I say I've not looked too far in to it yet. Why not BTW? Is it the heat, the antifreeze, or what?

Cheers again.

Sponsored Links
Oilman wrote

And I note that you can't provide any useful information,....... again.

Can you remind me what 'useful information' you asked for? I don't recall a specific request in your post?

May I remind you that when I asked for some 'useful information'....

SimonD wrote
We have looked into these Hellfire units, but I have never seen one installed. Have you installed one, Oilman, and what did you think of them?

Oilman replied;
Installing a boiler is only connecting a couple of water pipes, an oil pipe, flue, a mains supply, a control signal, and a condensate drain, why is this such a big deal? within 2 minutes the CO level was 2ppm, and in 5 to 10 mins it drpos to zero. I think there ok.

Thanks for your flippant help. Can't see a great deal of information being given though..... And I think you meant they're OK?

baggy99 said:
Thanks for the additional info. Can you recommend a "good quality" panel, as there are a lot out there.

I wasn't aware you couldn't use solder connections - like I say I've not looked too far in to it yet. Why not BTW? Is it the heat, the antifreeze, or what?

Cheers again.

The heat will melt the solder, but you can use brazed fittiings.

I have brazed in the past. What material do you use? Std copper tube??? What about compression fittings - wouldn't that be easier?

Most manufacturers will probably supply their own fittings, I know Vaillant do and you use a continuous flexible pipe between the panels and the pump unit.

Grant gige you the fittings too
I have only done one of there's but it was a very easy install
If you ring them in devizes they will send you a DVD of the step by step install :LOL:

simond said:
If I were you;

I'd fit a Kidd Model 2 oil condenser - lifespan shown to be well in excess of 20 years (it was launched in 1983)

Fit a Honeywell Hometronic 16 zone temperature controller with HS80 rad valves

Throw solar in the bin

A DIY solar system is well worth it.

The flexible pipes used on solar are stainless steel !!!

You can use compression fittings but Viessmann recommend using copper inserts in the copper pipe so you can tighten them more without deforming the tube.

The Viessmann system used a 6 Bar PRV so the system has to be capable of working up to 250°C and 6 Bar. If its not obvious, plastic cannot handle that nor can soldered joints.

A runback system is much less demanding and normally runs openvented or just up to 1.5 Bar like a normal heating system.

If you dont know what you are doing on solar you can cause an explosion!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back